GRAZER

johny

Songster
13 Years
May 22, 2010
They have a bird called Berg's Grazer this spring at Berg's Hatchery in Manitoba
It is supposed to be like a Cornish x in size and shape.
But they grow slower and can be sent to free range.

Any comments or experience with birds like that?

Hmmm. I just looked at them. I have never ordered them, but I did get some of the red and black broilers from strombergs, which sound similar? I was not that impressed with them. I can't really tell you how their feed efficiency was, but I had them longer, and they didn't grow near as big as I wanted them too... In their deffense, out of 25, I think I only lost 2. This year I plan on just going with Cornish.

These are great birds, they winter well, and produce lots of large white eggs. The meat is flavorful. They do well on grain and grow faster, but when on grass and bugs they produce very good meat.
They are not prone to disease as we raise ours on non medicated feed.
They can be flighty sometimes, and the rooster do crow a lot. We ordered 10 the first year and 25 this year

I only got a few eggs.
They were pale pinkish brown.
All 20 birds ended up in the freezer by late September when they were 15-17 weeks old.
They all lived free range on 20x100 yards of old meadow.
Also a steady diet of 22% Protein Meat Bird Crumble.

The hens averaged 4-5 pounds fully dressed and the roosters average 6-8 pounds fully dressed.

I have nothing else to compare to.
But I thought they were really good and I'll get probably 30 next year.

We wintered 3 hens over, 2 are broody and sitting on eggs, very protective of he nest. I mentioned before the eggs were white, they were a creamy white (tannish) large.

I am guessing we will have some chicks in a few days. We did incubate 6 eggs to see if they were fertile and they are, all six hatched

Was thinking of keeping 5 bergs grazer over winter for laying hens will they produce enough eggs to make it worth keeping them

Hi All,

For my first year of meat birds I tried Bergs Grazers. My original order had 20 day olds and I had zero die. They went outside at 6 weeks but that was slightly delayed due to bear issues. I probably could've put them outside at 4-5 weeks. I started butchering them at about week 8-10 and they were right on schedule as per The bergs hatchery graph. They are now in week 17 (I know....) and I'm down to 10. I had one cockerel die of unknown causes in August. I've only slaughtered cockerels so far but they are still on track for weight. The last one was 3980g or just shy of 9 lbs as it went into the oven. A few of the pullets are now starting to lay. The cockerels are noisy, so my wife is happy we are down to one. I've also enjoyed watching them grow w a variety of heritage variety traits emerging, each chicken different. They are down to a 16% protein and have become a lot more active! they wonder the yard all day long. Still aren't as smart as my isa brown layers though...meat tastes like chicken.

You did well for size.
My birds run an area about 20x100 yards.
I re-planted the run with clover and alfalfa last year.
But it's no picnic for them.
They get a 3 walled (+roof) plywood sleeping hut.
Full exposure to the outdoors otherwise.

While they ate lots of the meadow greens, their main feed was a 20% protein meat bird pellet from Purina.

My roosters average 7 1/2 pounds and the hens are 5 1/2 at 16 weeks living about 4 hours west of you.

I'll do them again next year. They definitely have the stamina for outdoor living.

Back
Top Bottom