Grazing box

RebelChief

Songster
6 Years
Mar 7, 2014
Brownsville, TX
Built a grazing box today. Had enough scrap lumber I didn't have to go to the store so it was cheap to do. Very happy with how it turned out. I put it out there and filled it with Omega 3 Chicken grass and threw some wild bird seed in for good measure. Not sure what is in that but let me tell you it grows great where I DON'T want it to ... my luck it won't grow where I do want it to. I'll update as it develops.

This is some fodder I made with the Omega 3 seed:

Attachments

• 103043812_10163498974215114_1598615669235188396_o.jpg
    103043812_10163498974215114_1598615669235188396_o.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 34
I planted barley and wheat under those kind of covers, chickens couldn't keep up with it and now the barley and wheat are 3 feet high and the chickens are eating the seeds straight off the grasses.

I mixed a few things in mine...wheat, regular grass, wild bird seed, and some other odds and ends. Waiting for the other two to sprout now but they have plenty to eat in the other.

I'm also still growing fodder for them.

I'm lucky in that I have no predators for grown chickens.
This means it's not a problem for me to let my chickens free range most of the time. I usually leave them locked in the coop and run when they are laying and then let them out in the afternoon. I currently only have one laying so once the egg is laid they get let out of the coop and run.

I'm lucky in that I have no predators for grown chickens.
This means it's not a problem for me to let my chickens free range most of the time. I usually leave them locked in the coop and run when they are laying and then let them out in the afternoon. I currently only have one laying so once the egg is laid they get let out of the coop and run.

You are lucky. I have too many predators. You name it they are here. Mine have a run and a yard but they cleaned the yard bare...I do my best to make up for it. They get something green every day either cabbage, cilantro, fodder, or whatever. I want to build a chicken tractor next so I can let them out .. I have 2 acres...I'd love to give them access to some of it

Back
Top Bottom