greasy goats

agnes_day

Songster
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
oklahoma
my goats are all greasy and look like they have dandruff...should i clip their fur and give them a good bath?? they feel nasty!

nope! 2 girls and a wether. but they are sooo greasy feeling! it does make my hands soft though after running my hands over them
lol.png

Do you provide them with goat minerals or a mineral block? I can tell a difference in their coat within a few days if my goats don't get their minerals.

Last edited:
Goats can be like horses and need a good grooming. I would use food grade DE and rub it into their coats then brush them out. We do it in the summer time and it keeps the flies at bay too. In winter our goats have such thick coats they look like they have been at the furriers. lol

The flakiness could be lice.. could try the DE rubbing it in and giving them a good grooming and/or a oral dose of ivomec injectible.. would clear up any buggies..my goats loved to be brushed, more so than my dog!! and right now they are starting to lose their undercoat fluff and look really scruffy.. plus finding clumps of goat fluff on fence, gates, barn walls, my pants, etc.. wherever they rub.. My bucks are really greasy and gross but they are intact and seemingly pee on themself any chance they get.. and with the combo of loose mineral and natural dust from barn they are GROSS! Cant wait till warmer weather where they will get out in fresh air and sun!!!

Back
Top Bottom