Greasy head and dripping face.

MidNight Wings

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 13, 2013
California
Yesterday I noted that my New jersey giant pullet had what looked like oil on the back of her head. It looked like someone had greased her feathers down back there.
Before I put them to bed I also noted that her face was dripping wet and her comb and wattles had taken on and extremely bright red hugh.

I called a friend of mine who has had chickens for a while but she had no idea what it was.

Today as I went past my coop I saw that my Black Cochin and welsummer are having the same symptoms.

What is this? I am a first time owner so this could be something normal, but I have no way of knowing.

NOTE:
All three pullets are due for laying and have been showing signs for weeks that they would start.

The redness in the comb and wattles are definitely a sign of impending fertility, but I don't know about the wetness or oilyness. Maybe someone else will know.

I'm still new at chickens so this is only an observation that seen. I've been dealing with illnesses since I bought some chickens at a flea market. Never do that- they looked healthy but I've had nothing but problems since. Because our chickens are for enjoyment and for my boys to have and see chickens. So I'm not culling my flock. Just treating as they get sick. Anyway- GREASY HEADS- all of my chickens that get any kind of "cold" meaning eye or nose drainage- when they sleep they tuck their heads back and ann of their necks gets funky and greasy

I would agree that its likely a respiratory illness and the grease your referring to is likely mucus and its spreading through your flock. I would treat with tylosin which is tylan 50 . It is geared for respitory illness and many poultry owners have had great success including myself using it. Dose for large birds is 1/2 cc smaller birds 1/4 cc given once daily for 5 days into the brest muscle. I much perfer injectable over water soluable in cases like this because the dose is much more controlled with a injectable as opposed to a water soluable that dose is dependant on amount drank and when ill they don't drink as much as usual. Also with injectable it gets into the blood stream much faster and is generally stronger. Tylan 50 and syringes can be found at the feed lot or store. Do not worry that the tylan says for cattle and swine.as I mentioned many poultry owners successfully use it to treat upper respitory illness. Hope this helps and I would treat them as soon as possible. Seprate the sick from the healthy to prevent any farther infection of the others. Best wishes

Did you ever discover what caused the greasy head?
Yes.. turns out I had a three gallon jug of corn oil that rupshered. The chickens ate and drank the oil and it covered their heads and necks as they slashed it about.
Everyone turned out fine, although I got extra shiny eggs for the next few days.

Sorry for the false alarm guys, but thank you for your help.

Yes.. turns out I had a three gallon jug of corn oil that rupshered. The chickens ate and drank the oil and it covered their heads and necks as they slashed it about.
Everyone turned out fine, although I got extra shiny eggs for the next few days.

Sorry for the false alarm guys, but thank you for your help.

This made me LOL I am glad they are ok :)

Back
Top Bottom