greasy head - sign of illness?

bonchik

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 18, 2009
I am new to chicken farming. I have 6 12-week-old pullets. One of our Rhode Island Reds recently began to look as if her head were wet or greasy. What might this mean? also, all the chickens have been eating the single-cell foam insulation that is on the underside of the chicken coop. Is this dangerous?

welcome-byc.gif
from KS

Since they are RIR are you sure it is not blood? Take a wet cloth and wipe her head and see if it is red. If not could they be getting under a car or something? Do they free range at all? I'm sure eating the foam is not good for them.

my chickens ate my foam insulation it was like the kind you use to pack in mail packaging..it has been two months ago and they are fine. however, i too have three rooster with greasy heads..anybody know what it mea ns?
smile.png
hit.gif

Bonchick and Penny, neither one of you are not giving much info for others to help. Do they free range? Penny how old are yours? What are you feeding them? Have you checked to see if they have been pecked and it is not blood?

Pennyhibbitts,
BTW
welcome-byc.gif
also.
This is a great learning forum. Just remember to give as much info as you can about the issue with your chooks.

my hens are backyard chickens..not sure what free range means but if its do they run around loose outside..yes. but i put them in their henhouse at night.

Back
Top Bottom