Greasy tail?

Judiv

Chirping
Aug 8, 2019
Greenville, SC
Wondering why my 7 month old Orpington seems to have a greasy tail. Just started laying 5 days ago. Anything I should worry about? Do I need to intervene?
IMG_20200123_174028.jpg

Wondering why my 7 month old Orpington seems to have a greasy tail. Just started laying 5 days ago. Anything I should worry about? Do I need to intervene? View attachment 2009520
Chickens have an oil gland (Uropygial gland) at the base of their tail. Likely that is why it looks oily. She may be preening a lot.
Have you taken a look to see if the gland is inflamed? The gland should be pinkish or the color of your chicken's skin (with a BO, it's probably white to pink), should not be angry looking. Below is a photo of the little nub and you should see something similar on your girl.

1579835195082.png

Photo Ref

Chickens have an oil gland (Uropygial gland) at the base of their tail. Likely that is why it looks oily. She may be preening a lot.
Have you taken a look to see if the gland is inflamed? The gland should be pinkish or the color of your chicken's skin (with a BO, it's probably white to pink), should not be angry looking. Below is a photo of the little nub and you should see something similar on your girl.

View attachment 2009588
Photo Ref
Thank you!
When I looked yesterday it appeared about the same color as the rest of her skin, but I'll check again tomorrow. She doesn't act any different.... Just a little more obnoxious to another hen who isn't laying yet. Guess she's big stuff now that she's laying (5 days, 4eggs). Funny chick.

Back
Top Bottom