Great big egg layers

yoie

Songster
Jan 28, 2011
Easternshore of Maryland
I am currently doing some research on my next breeds I might be getting. My DH has been talking to me about getting 100 chickens to start a very small egg business. I wanted a variety of egg colors so we are going to have a few flocks to achieve this. I was going to get 25 Ameraucanas (EE's) for the green/blue/tinted eggs, that was the easy pick
tongue.png
I really want to have 3 other flocks but wanted them pure so I can sustain my own flocks. I was thinking of Rose Comb Leghorn for my white egg layer, anyone have any experience with them? Do they lay as well as say the White Leghorns, or at least pretty close? Then I really want a good egg layer of brown eggs that are on the larger side, open to suggestions! Not sure about my last flock, thinking of a darker egg layer to add to the group, but still up in the air about it. Would love to hear from everyone of thier best, and biggest egg layers
big_smile.png

I have mixed my flock this year for a rainbow of colors. I have Anconas for white, EEs for blue. Then I have RIR, BR, Wyanadottes, and some Tetra Tints.I really want some marans.

I have 3 Red Stars (AKA ISA Brown sex links). They are very reliable every-day layers of golden-brown eggs, even through the winter. Their eggs started large, and have only gotten more huge since then. This past summer we had to switch to duck/goose egg cartons because the eggs are too large for the regular "jumbo" cartons.

They are also very sweet and outgoing.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I have a turken that lays eggs so long the carton won't close over them. A trahma (turken/brahma) that just started laying about two weeks ago and suddenly her eggs have gotten so fat I have the same problem with the carton.

We have 4 backyard layers. My 2 production reds lay nice brown eggs. My Red Sex Link lays a bit larger egg that is slightly lighter in color. My New Hampshire Red lays the biggest egg of them all. It's almost twice the size of my production reds' egg.

98777_familycamera1_259.jpg

all I need is some bacon...

I had a Welsummer that passed and we had to replace because her eggs were the favorites of everyone--fairly dark terra cotta with very dark speckles. She was a really nice bird, great forager the eggs were mostly extra large and maybe 4-5 per week so not as productive as an ISA Brown or other sexlink but still decent. I mention it becasue of you saying you want mixed colors, having that one per dozen dark speckled egg might be eye-catching in your boxes. BTW, my EE lays the largest eggs in my flock--legit jumbo about 5 times a week but they are only tinted. Still, an awesome layer.

Last edited:
For big brown eggs, Barred Rocks are an excellent choice. They can also be sexed by color from a young age, which is an added plus if you'll be breeding them.

Buff Orpingtons are also a good choice for big brown eggs, but they do go broody. You'll have to decide whether broodiness is something you love or despise.

Rhode Island Reds would also make a great choice.

Rose Comb Brown Leghorns are not the same as White Leghorns. They're actually quite different. White Leghorns will lay about 5-6 X-Large white eggs/week/hen, whereas Brown Leghorns will lay about 4-5 Large white eggs/week/hen.

White Leghorns are the best laying breed, no question. However if you don't want white chickens, then you might want to look into Minorcas, they're also great layers of big white eggs. Brown Leghorns and Anconas would also be good choices.

Breeds to stay away from if you're after big eggs would include Wyandotte, Sussex, Hamburg, Andalusion, Campine, Fayoumi, Lakenvelder, and Polish.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom