Great Deep Litter Method Article

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ruralretreatchx, Jun 8, 2011.

1. ruralretreatchx

ruralretreatchx Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
  2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Great points if you keep up on the cleaning, and compost but I'll stick with coarse sand

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  3. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    I've heard sand can get too cold?

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Like dirt, all the chickens do is walk on it but if you still feel guilty, throw some straw on top in the super cold, it sifts out easily, just like the poo does. Besides they can get their grit and take dust baths in it year around

5. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Great article....thanks for posting this. I can't decide what method I want to use in my new coop....But I do like the idea of only doing 2-3 major cleanouts a year with the deep litter method.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:To each, his or her own! Personally, I would much rather spend 10 minutes of easy cleanup daily than have to face a big, nasty, hour or more long job several times a year. And to me, just adding fresh bedding on top of poo crusted bedding seems icky. We spend a lot of time in our coop with our chickens and I wouldn't want to be walking or standing on all of that. I prefer to compost droppings inside a dedicated composter.

7. dcouette

dcouette Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Dryden, ON
    Glad I saw your comments bryan99705 was debating sand in the coop vs straw. Was concerned with our cold northern winters with the sand. Do you add straw on top of the sand in the winter? Sorry to hijack this post.

8. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Bryan, I know you live in Alaska but you've said that you never keep chickens over winter. So if you'll pardon me, I am wondering whether you are speaking from *experience* with keeping chickens on sand in a cold-winter climate, or just theory?

"Just throw straw on top" is reasonably-ok if you are going to do a full cleanout on a frequent basis (although as time goes by the sand will get more and more fine organic matter in it, til it is no longer exactly sand)... but for deep litter, it just turns into sandy compost and you canNOT pick the straw out once it has fragmented down to fine partly-decomposed pieces. So it isn't as straightforward as you suggest.

Pat

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by