Great Depression of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
150 years later an the south is still talking about secession every few years.
Yes. And here's another thing he said:

"Madam, don't bring up your sons to detest the United States government. Recollect that we form one country now. Abandon all these local animosities, and make your sons Americans."

The point of the meme is that many of the same people crying foul over Walmart's "business decision" to stop selling the Confederate flag were once lauding the "business decision" that the christian bakers should be allowed to make in not serving gay customers. It's a picture with accompanying text, which together illustrate an irony. If you say that the actual photo has nothing to do with walmart or the cakes and thus the meme "makes no sense", then perhaps we should review all the memes posted in this thread for accuracy as well.
Again it still makes no sense cause protesting an wanting using the government to force someone to do something is not the same thing. A business should have the right to make those choices. Any consequences of those choices should come from the free market not the government. That is not being two sided. If you dont like what a business is doing you have the right to protest an boycott. That is free market. Calling in the government to force your opinion at gun point is not.

Yes. And here's another thing he said:

"Madam, don't bring up your sons to detest the United States government. Recollect that we form one country now. Abandon all these local animosities, and make your sons Americans."
He new better than anyone doing that. The people of the south had been burned, robbed, raped an murdered by the US an the US was dead set on punishing them more. The animosity the south has for the US government is way more now than it was at the years leading up to the civil war. People I never would have expected are openly talking about secession on facebook today. I have expected things to get bad but the talk is surprising me. I dont think we have hit a breaking point yet but unless things change we are headed full steam at it. As we do you will see more an more gadston flags an southern cross flags.

People I never would have expected are openly talking about secession on facebook today. I have expected things to get bad but the talk is surprising me.

This is certainly possible. Right now it's almost like we're two countries. I've lived in both, and they're entirely different. They have entirely separate narratives, icons, political views... and none of those are going to change anytime soon. The two recent supreme court cases will only increase that divide.

But if it ever actually came to that, the suffering of everyday people in both camps would increase horrifically. If only for the sake of my sons, I hope the present atmosphere doesn't continue. It's hard to be positive about where we seem to be heading.

Again it still makes no sense cause protesting an wanting using the government to force someone to do something is not the same thing. A business should have the right to make those choices. Any consequences of those choices should come from the free market not the government. That is not being two sided. If you dont like what a business is doing you have the right to protest an boycott. That is free market. Calling in the government to force your opinion at gun point is not.

The only government involvement I've seen in this is removing the flag from government buildings. That many retailers have stopped selling the flags seems to be simply a popular choice in light of the recent shooting. Just as a consumer has the right to boycott a sale, a seller has the right to decide what to sell in anticipation of a boycott. You seem to be saying that the seller should be forced to continue selling something simply because people want to buy it. Looking online, I see that there are plenty of places where these flags may still be bought, so this "ban" of which you speak must have been self-imposed by a few big retailers.

Last edited:
This is certainly possible. Right now it's almost like we're two countries. I've lived in both, and they're entirely different. They have entirely separate narratives, icons, political views... and none of those are going to change anytime soon. The two recent supreme court cases will only increase that divide.

But if it ever actually came to that, the suffering of everyday people in both camps would increase horrifically. If only for the sake of my sons, I hope the present atmosphere doesn't continue. It's hard to be positive about where we seem to be heading.
I am just reading those court cases. I dont think the government should have the power to force you to buy insurance, especially insurance you cant afford. The marriage thing is more complicated. I am on the fence about the courts ruling but it never should have got that far. The government should not be in the marriage business. The word should not appear in any law anywhere in the US.

These ruling will make things worse at least in the short term. I know if I was Democrat planning to run for President I would put it off for 8 years. Odds of winning are going down with every headline an if you did win odds for fighting a civil war will be high. At least the way things look now.

Last edited:
The only government involvement I've seen in this is removing the flag from government buildings. That many retailers have stopped selling the flags seems to be a unanimous choice in light of the recent shooting. Just as a consumer has the right to boycott a sale, a seller has the right to decide what to sell in anticipation of a boycott. You seem to be saying that the seller should be forced to continue selling something simply because people want to buy it. Looking online, I see that there are plenty of places where these flags may still be bought, so this "ban" of which you speak must have been self-imposed by a few big retailers.
The meme implies the cake thing an the walmart thing are the same. The government forced the cake maker to make a cake they chose not to. The people have the right to their power as consumers to try to get their way. That is not forcing them to do anything, that is persuasion. Using the government to force some to do something at gun point is not ok.

Protest all you want about anything you want. Bring a government gun in to it, that I am not ok with.

Simple difference.

Cake------Government gun
Flag------peoples money

One is a right, the other is taking away someones right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom