Great horned owl killed my chickens!

Have to put a roof on your run. It doesn't have to be that "tough" to discourage owls or hawks, regular chicken wire will work.

I assume you have a real coop? Meaning the owl cant see the chickens when they are roosting? If not, time to get building.

Owls are protected from everything but Power Wind turbines. So many are being killed by the blades, including eagles, bats, migratory birds, etc. that Obama removed compulsory bird death casualty reporting by wind farm owners. The numbers are so huge that if the numbers are totalled there will be an uprising against the wind farms.

:/ sorry you lost your birds especially from an amazing animal like Great Horned Owls but you probably think they aren't that great. It is illegal to kill any kind of bird of prey for any reason in the U.S. You should if you don't already get a roof over your run and if you free range don't let them out for a week or 2 and lock them in the coop at night. The owls will eventually realize they can't get anymore of your birds and move on.

NEED HELP! I live in Minnesota and two days ago at 9:30 a.m. I went to check my chickens. They were all outside of the coop very frantic and scared. As I got closer to my coop I noticed feathers coming out of their little door which made me nervous so I opened up the big door and staring back at me was a Great Grey Owl. He was INSIDE my coop and killed two of my big Cochin's. I'm not sure who was more in shock me or the owl. He flew past me, hitting me in the shoulder with his huge wing and took off. I'm scared to let them out of the coop now. I've had them boarded up for two days because I'm scared to let them out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

NEED HELP! I live in Minnesota and two days ago at 9:30 a.m. I went to check my chickens. They were all outside of the coop very frantic and scared. As I got closer to my coop I noticed feathers coming out of their little door which made me nervous so I opened up the big door and staring back at me was a Great Grey Owl. He was INSIDE my coop and killed two of my big Cochin's. I'm not sure who was more in shock me or the owl. He flew past me, hitting me in the shoulder with his huge wing and took off. I'm scared to let them out of the coop now. I've had them boarded up for two days because I'm scared to let them out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Keep them locked up for a week or two before you let them out again. Make sure your run is completely safe from owl attacks. After a few weeks the owl will realize he can't get anymore of your birds and move on.

Last edited:
A heavy-duty plastic deer fence attached to some hoop frames made of 3/4" pvc pipe make a nice addition to a fenced chicken run and the predators leave it alone. The hawks have come and sat in the trees and looked it over on a number of occasions but thats it

Talked to the Game Warden,Biologist for this area....Wow did I get an education.The Great Horned Owl is the navy seal/ sniper / murderer of all chicken predators.Beware,pen chickens in at night. The owls have actually killed fawns.I learned owl calling can confuse there hunting and put them in a territorial mode, as in making them scout the area for trespassers.I found Also to guard against mountain lions which have taken some local ranchers dogs,foxes,ring tailed cats,which we have also seen, and ferrel cats.The answer to the problem again,from the biologist is put them in the coop. I am working on it but 1/2 my flock loves to live in trees....yep another problem.

Back
Top Bottom