Great Horned Owls and chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DDRanch, Mar 14, 2015.

1. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    We have a pair of Great Horned owls nesting near my chicken coop. We are thrilled to have the owls so close but I wonder if they will pose a threat to my hens. I have large breeds. Obviously, the hens are locked up tight at night, but would the owls be a threat early evening as my girls are going to bed? Or during the day if the hens are out free ranging.

We have had barn owl nests for years without incident.

I have no intention of harming these beautiful birds, but would appreciate your experience.

Thank you.

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Great Horned Owls are mighty predators and will kill and eat other birds, even those bigger than themselves. You might want to put your girls up before evening, just to be safe. Very glad to hear that you are enjoying these wonderful birds.

3. TheEggCollecter

TheEggCollecter Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    Massachusettes
    They may be pretty but they do pose a threat. i have watched videos of Great Horned Owls attacking eek!!

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If owl nest very close, the adults may not hunt you although juveniles likely will and they will do so in a more persistent manner than the adults. Be certain to pen birds up before dusk until juveniles disperse, possibly in fall.

5. curious chickee

curious chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Too bad you can't get the barn owls back, they do a great job of keeping the rodent population down. Definitely be wary of great horned owls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by