Great Horned Owls and chickens?

DDRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 15, 2008
California
We have a pair of Great Horned owls nesting near my chicken coop. We are thrilled to have the owls so close but I wonder if they will pose a threat to my hens. I have large breeds. Obviously, the hens are locked up tight at night, but would the owls be a threat early evening as my girls are going to bed? Or during the day if the hens are out free ranging.

We have had barn owl nests for years without incident.

I have no intention of harming these beautiful birds, but would appreciate your experience.

Thank you.

Great Horned Owls are mighty predators and will kill and eat other birds, even those bigger than themselves. You might want to put your girls up before evening, just to be safe. Very glad to hear that you are enjoying these wonderful birds.

If owl nest very close, the adults may not hunt you although juveniles likely will and they will do so in a more persistent manner than the adults. Be certain to pen birds up before dusk until juveniles disperse, possibly in fall.

I've watched GHO's quite a bit and I've never seen them bring anything bigger than a rabbit even with three chicks in the nest. The diet was rabbits,rats,songbirds and snakes. These owls were in Oklahoma so I'm sure there was larger prey available but i never saw them partake. Interesting fact, did y'all know owls will accept chicks from other owls? They will! :)

Back
Top Bottom