great horned owls and the threat to farm poults

cpullman

Hatching
Feb 26, 2020
Hi, I'm new to the group and recently read here that the question as to whether or not a great horned owl is a threat to your poultry. I have had some serious problems for two years now with this owl, not only did she kill chickens, only taking the heads (which I was told is a tell tale sign), this owl also has taken young turkey poults (head only ) peahens, and some pheasant. Our local game warden here in southeast South Dakota has told me it requires a special permit even for the game warden to trap an owl. How does one get rid of these owls by re-locating them. Right now I have my birds all locked up and most of them are confined in their own runs and pens during the warm months, but spring is coming and this bad boy was back again this morning. I have wild ringneck pheasant frequenting my yard and hang around pretty much all day and now the problem has returned. I'm just wondering if there is anyone with knowledge as to how to trap the owl. Thanks in advance for any help

Are you positive it's the owl? The only time a Great Horned Owl took one of my young chickens it took the whole bird. Raccoons are notorious for only taking the head though. If it's possible I would set up a trail cam and see if you can identify what is stalking your flock for sure and then if it's something like a raccoon, they're fortunately much easier to capture/relocate as well.

Many animals eat from the head down... could be a hawk, owl, raccoon, or something else.

is there a pattern with the dead birds other than the head eating, such as being killed along a fence line, time of day, etc. etc? Those details would help too.

im Not sure how to trap an owl, but you might be able to harass it daily until it goes away.

IME, Owls take the whole body or nonetheless eat some of it, Have you heard or seen the owl? Great horned owls are more active at night, seems odd that it would be so desperate to hunt during the day and not even eat its kill. Setting up a trail Cam would be a good idea as @CluckNDoodle recommended. I had a fox that ate only the head's of my birds, doesn't sound like a owl too me.

Hi, I'm new to the group and recently read here that the question as to whether or not a great horned owl is a threat to your poultry. I have had some serious problems for two years now with this owl, not only did she kill chickens, only taking the heads (which I was told is a tell tale sign), this owl also has taken young turkey poults (head only ) peahens, and some pheasant. Our local game warden here in southeast South Dakota has told me it requires a special permit even for the game warden to trap an owl. How does one get rid of these owls by re-locating them. Right now I have my birds all locked up and most of them are confined in their own runs and pens during the warm months, but spring is coming and this bad boy was back again this morning. I have wild ringneck pheasant frequenting my yard and hang around pretty much all day and now the problem has returned. I'm just wondering if there is anyone with knowledge as to how to trap the owl. Thanks in advance for any help
If you keep your poultry in a secure coop at night, Great Horned Owls will not be any problem at all.

I have Great Horned Owls that regularly spend the days in my trees while my chickens, guineas and turkeys are outside. They do not bother the poultry during the daytime. My adult turkeys are allowed to roost outside at night. The poults are kept in the coop with the chickens and the guineas have their own coop.

1582734221918.jpeg

I'm just wondering if there is anyone with knowledge as to how to trap the owl.
Our local game warden here in southeast South Dakota has told me it requires a special permit even for the game warden to trap an owl.
Ask the game warden, when he gets his permit.

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @cpullman
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1582754959555.png

Serial killer taking only head is a Great-horned Owl method of operation. Trapping easy, but legal concerns. Relocating likely not practical owing to strong homing ability if bird is breeder. Taking owl will kill brood likely already started. Having the state deal with owl will likely cost taxpayers more than your flock is worth. Upgrade your protective measures. If you have the stomach for it, then dispatch owl. Dispatching not legal with potential for federal action if you are caught.

I would begin finding ways to make roosting locations for your birds more owl resistant. Until you have that realized I would leave any kills out for owl to consume. Raise carcass on something so other predators can not come in to scavenge. Tie carcass down so owl does not bring carcass down where another animal can steal it. Owl will focus on carcass before making a fresh kill.

I have done several things to prevent losses to owls. First has been to put up deer netting and fencing over openings owl uses to enter barn. Then a low wattage light runs at night so flock can see owl come in. Flock will make a lot of racket potentially alerting you. The final straw for my owl has been keeping dog(s) in close proximity to where the flock is roosting.

:welcome :frowThe only defense against owls that I have found is to cover your pen. I have lost birds to owls. When I was covering my pens with netting I didn't have enough to completely cover the pens so I bought some netting online. The ad was misleading and it wasn't what I thought it was but I used it anyway thinking it still might deter the aerial predators, wrong. I had an owl go right through the netting. I have since replace it with some better netting. Luckily I moved the birds to another coop and pen and put up a camera. I had replaced the crappy netting with another new piece of the crappy netting and the owl went right through it. I don't know of any way to capture an owl and it's illegal to shoot birds of prey.
DSCF00031125 02.jpg
DSCF00031125 10.jpg

The owl I have been plagued with tried again last night to go through some netting. This time it didn't make it because I replaced the crappy netting in this pen with some heavy duty netting and it got caught in the netting. Hubby and I got it out and are waiting for the wildlife people to come and get it. It isn't very happy.
IMG_20200229_130601[1].jpg

Back
Top Bottom