Great Horned Owls???

Thanks for the advice you guys!
smile.png

Quote:
you cant always control what predator decides to get into your traps if you notice his trap is not an owl trapits a ground cage trap. its illegal for you to intentionally trap animals that are protected sometimes thats out of our hands you have zero control over who decides to venture forth into your traps I am sure everyone is aware of the laws and protection of hawks eagles and owls. I do wish culture would change somehow. I hear if your an indian you can kill trap stuff and even collect feathers is this true?

Quote:
you cant always control what predator decides to get into your traps if you notice his trap is not an owl trapits a ground cage trap. its illegal for you to intentionally trap animals that are protected sometimes thats out of our hands you have zero control over who decides to venture forth into your traps I am sure everyone is aware of the laws and protection of hawks eagles and owls. I do wish culture would change somehow. I hear if your an indian you can kill trap stuff and even collect feathers is this true?

It is true that Indians can take protected species. Their nations are not signatories to any treaty that gave up any of their rights to hunt , trap, or fish.

Quote:
Yes, I talked to a Native American (Iroquois) who showed me a necklace he had made using owl talons. Also they are the only people that can legal own eagle feathers. However, I believe capture has to be done on their own land i.e. a reservation.

Quote:
Yes, I talked to a Native American (Iroquois) who showed me a necklace he had made using owl talons. Also they are the only people that can legal own eagle feathers. However, I believe capture has to be done on their own land i.e. a reservation.

It has to be done in accordance to their tribal laws which hold certain animals (depending upon the tribe) in very high regard.

i know a man that killed an owl i am not sure why he did it but he got caught he tried to say that his turkey killed the owl but that was not accepted and he had to pay huge fines and i think even went to jail

native indians seem to love animals and dont kill them unless they use the animal totally so i dont think they kill raptors

Last edited:
Yes, everyone is correct. The Great Horned Owl is a top predator, preys on what it wants to take to eat & is a danger to all poultry. They should be respected. There is an account on this forum of a full grown Pyrenees Dog taking on a Great Horned Owl that was attacking chickens. The dog eventually won but was cut up pretty good on its face. The OP described hearing her dog gowling and howling in a prolonged fight.

Great Horned Owls have been observed chasing Bald Eagles off their nests. And as the one poster stated, they are one of the few animals that eat skunks (and that is why a GH will often smell like one) & they will attack and kill a full grown opossum. A friend of mine lost all his ducks (one per night) to a GH. A Great Horned is one of the few birds of prey that is a danger to Geese too (the other being a Golden Eagle). Many folks around here loose their small dogs and puppies to GHs.

Great Horned Owls are federally protected and a permit would be needed to kill one.

Back
Top Bottom