Great idea to cool down your chickens portable diy AC

Birdsong 82

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 17, 2017
Virginia
A coworker of mine had made some thing for his camping trip because he refused to sleep in a hot tent and it sparked an idea for my chickens run Since we’ve had a wave of heat to which the heat index has been anywhere from 100 to 110° almost steady for a couple weeks now
It’s a DIY mini air conditioner. All it needs is a cooler ( which I always find tons of old ones at Goodwill or yard sales for cheap) and a rechargeable battery operated small fan ( which can be found anywhere, Amazon, wal-mart etc for around $15) and Short PVC fitting.
B409B383-CF48-41B5-9AFF-080395818AEE.jpeg

This is it unassembled. But pretty much you fill the cooler with ice the fan blows cold air out and the PVC pipe is the vent. And it actually works pretty well. Well his does. I need to find someone with a jigsaw borrow to make mine But I’m sure if I work at right I could use my reciprocating saw. But I thought it would be nice to places in the corner of the chickens run in the morning before I leave for work and when the hundred plus degree heat hits later in the morning into the afternoon the chickens have a at least cooler area to hang out. The fan he got from Walmart is rechargeable and charge last 14 hours. Not bad for a quick fix Four those over the top heat days
And even though sometimes when those temperatures hit I said I can’t imagine it being any hotter but I know there’s places that are much hotter. So thought I’d share what I could because chickens in intense heat can be difficult situation. All those feathers are hot!

I wouldn’t recommend placing it inside the coop or enclosed area. My thoughts were corner of a run just on the dangerous hot days to give just a slightly cooler location . Not full time. Very valid point for sure Different climates and set ups could have different challenges and results
Beware tho....
If the ice is not contained in a sealed container(s),
it will add to the ambient humidity exponentially.

Back
Top Bottom