Great Pyr and my flock ??'s

r4eboxer

Crooked Creek Poultry
8 Years
Sep 20, 2011
Fairmont
I have been lurking on this site for over 3 years gathering all the infomation I needed to start my flock. FINALLY this August 1st 10 chicks arrived.

I have been throwing the idea of a Great Pyr around for a while, I have done all the research, read all the threads on Guardian dogs on BYC forums. I have searched the local papers, the not so local papers and online for weeks looking for a Great Pyr and breeder that I am comfortable with adopting from.

Today I made a phone call to that breeder and have found that she has a female 2.5 year old and a 6 month old puppy that she wants to place together to the right home. She said she has turned down people for these dogs and has held on to them for the right person and wants to place them with me.

So now I need to make sure that I am the right person for these dogs. DH is going to construct a new fenced in area around the coop for these dogs (my in ground fence will not hold them according to the breeder) so that they will be safe and not roam the 30 acre property.

So my questions are, what kind of time does it take to train these dogs and how much patience?
How can I teach them the chicks are not toys? Will I need to be on top of the dogs and chickens constantly at first? I work full time and with winter coming I am concerned about the lack of daylight hours to train correctly.

I really really want these two dogs, but don't want to get them with all my excitement and then realize it was wrong for me. I do need a dog to keep deer out of my gardens (I lost so many veggies this year it is almost a crime) I have many predators that will be munching on my flock if I don't get a guardian as I want them to free range as much as possible.

oh and totally not related to my post but is there a spell check on here? I can't find it anywhere:idunno

I don't have a dog but I make a point of answering posts that did not get any responses right away so they don't get "lost in the ether"

If the breeder does not have much feedback on training requirements, then maybe you could do a search on BYC on "Great Pyrenees" and find out who on the forum has them and then send them a private message (PM) with questions.

I don't think there is a spell check on this site. However, I use Google Chrome as a server and that provides spell check I think.

Last edited:
I hope you're fencing in a few acres for the dogs to run..

Pyrs (and ALL real LGD breeds) need lots of room.

If chickens are your only "livestock" , I think you'd be better off with another breed

Thanks for the posts and trying to keep my questions from getting lost.

I have a goat and will be adding at least two goats in the spring along with 2 pigs, a dairy cow and at least two sheep. We put in a large pond two years ago and i have been waiting for it to develop an ecosystem so i can add ducks. I ordered six and they are due to arrive the week of Nov 7th. I will keep them in my basement most of the winter and then add them to the pond very early spring. I have dh starting on a floating pond house for them. My dh and I are homesteading and hope to live completely off our land soon.

I came across great pry on this site. I read the forum every day for hours. It was a post where someone was asking if very dedicated breeders of rare water fowl were closing ( it seems they are getting older and not breeding as many specific types) this breeder had great pry guarding his flock. I can't remember his name but brought many breeds back from almost certain extinction. I figured if he was using these dogs it mist be the right thing to do. Actually in my very intensive study of ducks, chickens, geese and turkey I have seen 90percent with great pry on guard on the farm or homestead.

So that is the only reason I have begun to look into this breed. It just seems to fit right for what I am trying to accomplish. If it is not the right breed I want to know that and know which on is for all of the above mentioned plans. I know all of you good people on here know your stuff so please suggest away will do my homework.

Oh so many typos please forgive I am typing on the iPad it is very touchy when it comes to typing. Auto correct is the Devil

I was going to post a pic of my property, the pons and the two streams that run through it but I can't post pics yet.
hit.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
The breeder has won championships with the males father and the females mother. I am confident they are pure and speaking with her for an hour today I am confident she knows what she is doing. She told me the female I may get won a title and then went back to the farm and went on guard duty. I was going to post the website for the breeder but decided against it.

I will fence off a large area, I have 30 acres and 10 of that is pasture. The breeder said the dog cannot run the entire property as they wander. She suggested against fencing all 10 of the pasture for the dogs.

What other breed would I be better off with for my flock if you don't mind responding again. Thank you for taking time to answer.

The breeder has won championships with the males father and the females mother

"Championships" mean nothing at all when you're wanting a "working" dog.

Show dogs are bred for appearance, not perfomance

Mainly it means you'll pay more for an animal that may or may not protect your birds.

She's right about the 10 acres though, and not letting them roam​

Psst, I had a show Pyr, only 1 acre fenced and just chickens. Our Pyr had a prefect track record for protecting the chickens and was happy as a clam. I would be concerned that 10 acres might allow the LGD to roam too far from the chickens. You kind of want the Pyr reasonably close to the chickens.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom