Great Pyrenees behavior

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rockingbearanch, May 12, 2014.

1. rockingbearanch

rockingbearanch Chirping

Jul 22, 2012
    Texas
    I have a 4 month old Pyr. He is by far the most hyper animal we have owned. He cannot get through two commands without losing attention and rolling around on the ground. He continues to prove untrustworthy even though he was born at a farm with chickens and turkeys. I know many people think they are wonderful but I don't see it in this particular dog. I've had labs, poodles, huskies, chows, aussies, etc. The Pyr is the least intelligent. He is beginning to growl when fed. He walks well on a lead (95% of the time) but when he feels like pulling he will not respond to commands. He is constantly all over any person or pet near enough to pounce. As he grows this is going to become a major issue.

My question is will he outgrow this? Will he calm down with age? Will he always need supervision? I've lost two adults to rough handling and up to a dozen chicks were ate. They free range and the dog is on a run or walking on a lead. I tie him to me all day yet his manners are no better than the day we got him. His size now means I can't get anything done and I know he's not going to improve if I leave him alone on a run.

Any suggestions?

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Crowing

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

3. rockingbearanch

rockingbearanch Chirping

Jul 22, 2012
    Texas
    He has papers and was pricey. He was on a large ranch with a wide variety of animals. The chickens free ranged around the dog's kennels there. They only had two pups to choose from and there was a returned dog there. I was told there was a moving situation with the purchaser. This set of bells but I got him anyway.

When I first got him I did have him in a 9x9 run or a crate next to the chicken coop but he cried and howled constantly. After a month I put him on the run. He is still overly vocal. Ignoring him doesn't seem to affect him. I don't believe I would feel comfortable with him being a pet. He has to have minimal manners and he simply doesn't seem to be able or willing.

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Crowing

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

5. rockingbearanch

rockingbearanch Chirping

Jul 22, 2012
    Texas
    I've attempted to work with the breeder. They don't respond. Their only reply was to roll the dog around the chickens. On message boards for the breed people say not to do that. This seems to make the dog do more of the trick where he runs fast, skids, and rolls anyone close enough to bowl.

Today he ate the hot tub. Pulled off the panel and pulled out parts and wires. Lucky for him it is shut down and will be replaced with a new one.

If all else fails, how do chickens like their dog food prepared? If the dog is going to eat my screaming baby chicks like Ozzy Ozbourne eating heads off bats, he's going to have to go one way or another. I don't have an empty field to keep a useless dog.

If you are purchasing a new dog and want to know my experience with Texas breeders feel free to message me. I was lead to believe these dogs are good with chickens. I have not yet been able to find anyone with a pyr success story. I would recommend ANY other breed. We have had great Chows and a variety of Shepherds.

6. Too bad he got those baby chicks. Eating them will have been a yummy positive reinforcement that will be hard to break.

7. Working livestock dogs ARE NOT like other breeds of dogs. They need to be handled completely differently and trained differently in order to do their job.

Some people are not cut out for the commitment and frustration that can come with raising a working LGD.

You might be better suited with Chow or Shepherd, since it seems you have had them in the past. They will not, however, work in the capacity that a TRUE LGD does.

8. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Crowing

Nov 10, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    What do you want out of him?
    are you just looking for a pet? doing tricks for treats and such
    or
    are you intending to use him for livestock guarding?
    or
    a big dog protector just hanging out near the house type of dog?

9. dainerra

dainerra Crowing

Jun 4, 2011
    I can tell you one thing for sure. At only 4 months old, he is a BABY. He will have a tiny attention span and it's going to be quite a while (think YEARS) before he mentally matures.

10. dainerra

dainerra Crowing

Jun 4, 2011
    the LGD people I know work a puppy for several months with an older, more experienced dog. Puppies are going to play - that is what they do. Dogs that play with livestock often end up killing their playthings. The jumping on people and overexcitement is typical puppy behavior for any breed of dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: