great pyrenees

Just a little advice if you're looking for a dog that can be left with your flock. Get one whose parents are proven chicken dogs or from dogs that have produced chicken dogs even if they themselves are just pets. Some pyrs are just not good with chickens. There's someone here with a gorgeous female that seems to be doing amazing with a flock of ducks. A sibling would be a good idea. Good luck.

Just be careful Bare bottom farm. As Grillo mentioned, not all GPs are equal. Mine will growl and chase my chickens, may even kill them if given the chance. (Out went my plan for a flock protector
roll.png
) He is great with my goats though.
smile.png
Carefully observe the parents before deciding to get a particular puppy and pick the most layed back one. Someone on here suggested the ball test - throw a ball and the one that doesnt chase, is a likely canidate. If you are just getting a pet then pick one from a non-working enviroment. Mine would be miserable as a house dog. Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree with all above.

I wanted a Great Pry to guard my flock of chickens and goats. Well...

I decided to get a rescue puppy instead of from a breeder because well. It just seems better.

But eventually we had to rehome her. She was not a good animal dog at all. She would chase anything that moved, hyper, playfully, and disobedient.

Certain dogs you just need to go with a proven breeder or working stocks.

Also...... exposure, exposure, exposure. Do not assume that just because they are a guardian dog that they will. Puppies are puppies and need to be taught. All three of my GPs are good with my critters but as puppies they tried to play rough.

7205_azland1.jpg

Azland

7205_dsci0097.jpg

Elmo ......and Candy the goose.
big_smile.png

Unless you have some experience in dog training, I would suggest you adopt a trained, adult GP. Although some are naturally protectors, they are still puppies and need guidance. Believe me, I'm speaking from experience!

6809_dec_21_052.jpg

BTW: Our Lab is better with the chickens than our GP.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom