Great Pyrenees?

itsjustme

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Indiana
I have to agree with the other 2. He will need a fenced in yard lots of room to run and a job. They are not designed to be house dogs. Mine will want in during the day to sleep. But they are nocturnal by nature and would rather be outside at night. And when mine isn't working she's distructive. And she is not good with chickens. I've not met a GP that was. Doesn't mean they don't exist. Just means I've not seen 1.

Bobcatpunk

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 29, 2013
Ohio
I have a 2 year old Pyr that is a total house dog. He is great with my family and neighborhood kids. He isn't destructive in the house. However, I have a fenced yard he runs in and I make sure to take him on long walks daily to get out his energy.

He was not from parents raised as working dogs, and he has no interest in guarding chickens.

I understand people's apprehensions. But if you're willing to put up a fence, give him lots of exercise, and focus on training; give it some thought. My Pyr is the best dog I've ever had.

Last edited:

lmccall728

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
If you were religious about getting the pup exercise daily and had an enclosed yard you might be okay. They are great with kids. Although a better suited/ideal life would be a larger ranch setting with livestock to guard if the pup is from working parents.

Our Great Pyr/Anatolian Shep cross was good with chickens, but it took a while for me to completely trust him. We still ended up putting them in a large enclosed run with a coop because with only 1 LGD we still lost a couple to hawks double teaming him when he was young. We never lost another chicken until he passed away. The first night after he was gone we lost 3 chickens.

He preferred to be outside 95.9 % of the time, maybe more. I know this because if you put him in the house he would just open the door to let himself outside. (He could open any door you put him behind).

One of the best dogs I have ever had. He is missed so much.

Best of luck, whatever your decision. I hope everything works out for you and the pup.

peahenry

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
Great pyrenees are great family dogs. They will defend the family to the death but they are gentle and love attention.
Some people say they are difficult to train but my friend has one that is great!
They are good around birds. She has had hers in a 40x40 open pen with poultry and not a single problem. Belle has sharp ears and keeps other animals away. Like I said protective of the birds.
I see that you posted this last year but I just wanted you and others to know what great dogs they are.
I hope you got the puppy and will post your experience here!

animalcrazy04

Hatching
May 10, 2015
Can an adult pyrenees be trained to guard chickens? I would live to rescue one for guarding when we get our property and chickens. we really want to rescue instead of getting puppy

peahenry

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
We have one that was adopted into the family.
They are great family dogs and once bonded they will protect the family to the death.
Ours has been kept in a calf house with a flock of chickens and never harmed them and will keep nasties out 24/7.

Be aware that they can be runners so you really have to train yours to come when called. If you chase after them, they will continue to run away.

Also, ours is about 80 pounds with no fat on it!!!

Top Bottom