Great tip for When building your own coop- Make a Separation cage built into the coop!

tigger19687

Crowing
6 Years
Jun 27, 2017
Metrowest- Massachusetts
My Coop
My Coop
So when you are designing and building your own coop make a section where you can separate a hen if/when needed.
Make it so you can clean it easily and disinfect it too.
Maybe you need to have it for a Broody hen..... bringing out chicks you hatched inside...... even a Time Out Room šŸ¤­

But if you need to watch a chicken or separate them then it is there and you don't have to be crazy trying to find a cage or something.

Make it big enough so you can use it for broody hen and her chicks, a groove on the sides so you can slid in a "wall" either solid or wire encased in a wooden frame. Maybe even have it on hinges so it can be flipped up when not in use.

Someone on here had made one bumped out into the 'Human side' of the coop šŸ˜„ or the storage section. I can't remember who it was but it's Brilliant !

Why is it Brilliant................ because when you desperately NEED it, it is there !

For me, first time I'm needing it right NOW, I used the 1.5' deep x 7' long wired partition entry "Human side" so she could still see her friends and not feel so lonely.

Oh, and if you make it from an existing section like me .. BLOCK OFF the very top opening (5 feet off the ground) and only a foot open...:thdarn hen jumped up there and got to the rest of the hens.
At least she didn't make a beeline for the feed and I was there !

Back
Top Bottom