Great to be here!

Sappypoo

Hatching
Feb 1, 2017
Hi, I just joined BYC, but have read tons from threads in the past.
After a fox incident last year I am about to start a new chicken journey. I love chickens, the eggs, the peace and joy from tending chickens and the different personalities.
My first question- is, are there breeds that shouldn't be together? I think the most beautiful thing in the world is a basket of different colored eggs. I wanted to get chickens that lay different eggs, like a Rhode Island Red, a Leghorn and an Aracana- but I don't know if they would get along even if I get them as chicks together. Any advice would be great.

Greetings from Kansas, sappypoo, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here! I don't know if particular breeds don't work and play well with others. I think a lot of it has to do if they we're raised and socialized together. I think there may be potential issues if one breed is significantly smaller than the others - that could lead to bullying issues. Or, if say all the chickens were one breed and a single bird that looked totally different was the only other flock member - the majority will sometimes go after the one that is different. That's my two cents worth - others may have other opinions. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!!
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif

The three breeds you mention should do ok together...a mixed flock is beautiful in my opinion. Where you may have issues when mixing different breeds is for example something like Polish with their top knots in with larger dual purpose birds or little Silkies in with the bigger breeds.

Good luck to you with a new flock!

Welcome to BYC!! :D
I have a huge variety of birds that for the most part get along very well. If they have plenty of space those breeds should be just fine IMHO.

Great to have you here!
:)

~MW

G’Day from down under Sappypoo
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry to hear about the fox!
sad.png

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Thanks so much for saying that, my son really wants me to get a silky. Last year we did have two polish hens and a leghorn, but the leghorn was kind of small anyway.
Rhonda

Thanks! I do have space, but I don't have a fence so I won't be able to let them free range- and more so because the hawks and fox around here like a chicken lunch. But I do have a good sized run and we are making chunnels this year all along the yard so the hens can eat all the bugs, honey suckle and have a little fun.

Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am quite glad you decided to join the flock, and please make yourself at home here! Enjoy BYC! :frow

~Cuz

Back
Top Bottom