Greece's Backyard Chickens-IMAGE HEAVY

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by NeeleysAVLChicks, Nov 4, 2010.

1. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Hi folks, the DH and I went on a loooooong overdue honeymoon to Greece a month or so ago. It was amazing! If you ever have an opportunity to go, do it! The landscape is gorgeous, the food is incredible and the people are very friendly!

Anyways, of course I did what any self-respecting BYC'er would do....take a picture of every chicken I saw! [​IMG]

I'm only really breed savvy when it comes to the breeds in my signature, so some of these guys might be fairly common varieties, but I thought you might like to take a look anyways!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ahhhhhh...Santorini....
    [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Beautiful pictures. I'm jealous, have always wanted to go to Greece.

Imp

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    OMG-- I am so jealous.. And My children give me a hard time --LOL when I traveled to Conn. for a wedding and ended up take chicken pictures, went on vac to Charleston --took chicken pictures there,--visited my sister--more pictures of some chickens beside the road... Glad you had a good time and thank your for remember us.. on BYC...

4. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    nice pictures.
    what do you guys think the light hen is in the 4th picture is? a mix of what...silkie?

5. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    Cute chickens although I know very little about breeds, other than the few I have ever kept.
    Where did you go in Greece? Did you go to see the Orical of Delphi? Parthenon? Oh and the sunset from Oia in Santorini blew me away. I loved everythng about Greece. What I took away from my trip was the the fact that they live the life. Not live to make, do or be more. Instead they just live, love and enjoy life. Something that has stayed with me to this day.
    [​IMG]

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:She'd need dark skin, a fifth toe, a walnut or walnut-esque comb, feathered feet, and perhaps a small beard. [​IMG]

Greece, and many other European countries, hold a lot of crested breeds most Americans do not know of. She could have some Polish in her, or she could have something else in her. . . There are a lot of different crested, clean shanked, clean faced, single combed breeds out there.

The stay must've been so nice though. It is too bad most of the chickens to me look kind of typical. (orange, red, and black production-type breeds)

7. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I took pics of Arabian horses when my hubby and I spent a month in Isreal, Jordan, and Italy. Course everytime I saw a chicken I was going " look a chicken" like I had never seen one before.

I had a little arabic gentleman in Jordan tell me something that I have heard countless times since then but never before. I was commenting on how relaxing it was to be there and how slow paced everything is. I had told him that every country we go to ( we been to quite a few) everything is so much slower paced than back home. He said " We work to live, Americans live to work". I think that is true. And to the Jordanians Arabian horses are for the rich and a chicken "its a chicken" when I asked what kind it was.

Lanae

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by