Greeeting from the island

Rainy Haven

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 24, 2012
Hi,
We have some Professional layer and a bunch of heritage chickens. We hatch our own in an incubator made from a styrofoam fish chest.
The dog eats some of them! **** dog!
B

Hello, :welcome

There we go, just proves that eggs can be hatched without expensive equipment. I've always wanted to hatch eggs, but I'm broke. :p
Pretty sad that the dog eats some of them! Can you fence off the chickens' area?

Hi again,
the chickens are fenced but I let them out every once in a while to clean up the garden! one of the new ones wandered too close to our dog while I was in the shop. What can you do? My incubator cost me $10 for a used aquarium heater, used for the thermostat control, the rest I scrounged. Need some help getting one together?
B

Ah, that's a bother. What about keeping the dog inside while the chickens are out?

Me, I am pretty much a cardboard box person. I've always used cardboard boxes for brooders, there's not really much else I can use. I've heard one story about successful hatching in a box, but I expect that would be a pretty rare achievement.

Although $10 for a heater doesn't seem too bad. I've heard it done with a heat lamp, or would that be too much of a risk?

Hi, welcome from So. Calif. -- Enjoy!

big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom