Green Bean Casserol

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ibpboo, Nov 22, 2009.

1. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I need a green bean casserole recipe!! DH wants me to make it good like his grandma used to do. I can't find my recipe!
    Please post your recipes here!

Thank you! [​IMG]

2. littleridgefarmer

littleridgefarmer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2008
    Mountains of NE Alabama
    Here you go!!

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's[​IMG] Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (Regular or 98% Fat Free)

1/2 cup milk

1 teaspoon soy sauce

Dash ground black pepper

4 cups cooked cut green beans

1 1/3 cups French's[​IMG] French Fried Onions

Stir the soup, milk, soy sauce, black pepper, beans and 2/3 cup onions in a 1 1/2-quart casserole.
    Bake at 350°F. for 25 minutes or until the bean mixture is hot and bubbling. Stir the bean mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining onions.
    Bake for 5 minutes or until the onions are golden brown.

For Broccoli Casserole, substitute 4 cups cooked broccoli flowerets for the green beans.
    For cheese lovers, stir in 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese with soup. Omit the soy sauce. Sprinkle with an additional 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese when adding the remaining onions.
    To add a festive touch, stir in 1/4 cup chopped red pepper with the soup.
    To add crunch, add 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds to the onion topping.

For bacon lovers, add 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled, to the bean mixture.

For Golden Green Bean Cassrole, substitute Campbell's[​IMG] Condensed Golden Mushroom Soup for the Cream of Mushroom Soup. Omit the soy sauce. Stir in 1/4 cup chopped red pepper with the green beans.

3. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought it was just green beans, a can of cream of mushroom soup and some of those crunchy canned onions.
    Some people put slivered almonds in them too.

4. Quote:That's how I do it, minus the almonds.

5. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] We typed our messages at the same time, I guess I did remember some of the ingredients.

The recipes look good, I have never seen it with bacon.

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Ask Saddi. She makes a good one.

Use fresh beans, not canned.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  7. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Yes, its the bacon that DH wants.

Thanks so much for fast response, this is wonderful!!

[​IMG]

Keep the recipes coming!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  8. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Quote:Saddi's Green Beans (8X8 pan) Assmeble the night before, put into the pyrex dish, so when you pull the turkey out to rest, you just have to slide this bad boy in for 30 mins @ 350)

2 LBS green beans, fresh if you can, or frozen and thawed in the fridge can work
    14 0z cream of CELERY soup (campbells is a classic, but homemade is excellent, I just don't have that sort of time)
    1/2 cup slivered almonds
    1/4th cup plain yogurt (you want the tang)
    Optional: french's onions for garnish

Day before:
    Clean or thaw your green beans

in a saucepan warm the celery soup, and stir in the yougurt (you're warming not cooking here), once the mix loosens up some, taste and salt/pepper if needed.

Toast your almonds in a 350 oven for 5 minutes (set a timer, singed almonds are bitter)

I'm not a fan of dishes, so I fold the almonds and green beans right into the pot with the soup brew, you can use a bowl if someone else is doing dishes.

Spread the bean filling mix evenly in the pan, toss on some plastic wrap and slide into the fridge.

Next morning:

After the turkey is done, slide it out of the way to rest.

Peel back the plastic wrap, and add the french onions and any remaining slivered almonds.

Slide the green bean cassarole into the oven for 350 and 30 mins.

Have family tell you how much better this recipie is, say it's the almonds, and don't let on about the soup swap, they'll never figure it out, and you've got the easy side dish for the next 10 years.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by