Green bottle flies

Leo1

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Saco, Maine
I cant understand this. I only have 4 chickens, at the moment, and haven't had more than that for years. I seem to have a lot of flies and can't figure out why. The girls are almost never confided in their run so there's not lots of consolidated poo and the flies are in the yard, not the coop, which isn't overly messy. The flies seem to be hanging out by the chickens' food, but, clearly, they aren't breeding in their food. There's no garbage lying about and I'm a vegetarian, so there's no meat in my garbage bins. This isn't a new issue and I don't smell evidence of a dead animal anywhere. I have a compost bin, but no evidence of fly activity in it. They aren't on the edge of the property, so I don't think they are coming from the neighbors. I just can't think where they may be breeding. Anyone have thoughts?

Compost bin or yard? Sounds like a seasonal hatching that should pass. They hatched somewhere and are looking for a place to lay. Strange that you haven't noticed it before. Have a picture of the coop and run?

Green bottle flies don't just eat carrion, that's just where they lay their eggs (as that's all the larvae eat). The adults eat feces, pollen, and nectar in addition to carrion, and are important pollinators. Do you have a lot of yellow flowers in your yard? They are apparently especially attracted to such flowers.

Green bottle flies don't just eat carrion, that's just where they lay their eggs (as that's all the larvae eat). The adults eat feces, pollen, and nectar in addition to carrion, and are important pollinators. Do you have a lot of yellow flowers in your yard? They are apparently especially attracted to such flowers.
Dandelion. Though, I haven't noticed them in it; I'll pay attention tomorrow. Mostly, I'm worried about them contaminating the girls food and the neighbors complaining; they complain about everything. Their constant presence would suggest a constant supply of dead animals for the larvae, I would think.

Back
Top Bottom