Green diarrhea?? Help!

toastyteddy

Chirping
Jun 24, 2020
So one of my two year old black star hens have been acting sickly lately! She's mildly lethargic, eats very little, has been losing weight, and frequently gives off a foamy, liquid, green poop that has small green bits in it.
I've tried to feed her by mixing my natural feed with applesauce (my feed is ground up wheat from my grandparents farm and mixed with protein powder).
I'm planning on separating her for the night so I can see if her crop empties completely. I have liquid corid just incase.
She hasn't laid an egg for a while, but I think I can feel the egg in her? Or maybe in wrong and its just a bone.

Here she is:
20201102_123634.jpg

20201102_123735.jpg

Here's her rear:
20201102_123816.jpg
20201102_123819.jpg

But please keep in mind that im only 15 and cannot get any other medicine. My parents only see my flock as livestock, not pets. So no vet trips or anything!

Attachments

• 20201102_123735.jpg
    20201102_123735.jpg
    1,000.4 KB · Views: 1
Let's go with your hunch she's egg bound and treat for that first. At the very least, it can help rule it out, and then we can try treating for other things.

Give her one calcium tablet, the kind people use to keep bones strong. If you don't have it on hand, a Tums tablet will work in a pinch. But a calcium citrate supplement with D3 is better.

Next, give her a brief soak in warm, soapy water to remove all that mess on her butt fluff. Then install her in a pet crate on some thick towels to absorb the discharge from her vent. Provide her with plenty of clean water to drink, and then leave her to rest, checking on her every so often to see what has come out of her.

Check back with any results or developments, and we'll decide what to do next.

So one of my two year old black star hens have been acting sickly lately! She's mildly lethargic, eats very little, has been losing weight, and frequently gives off a foamy, liquid, green poop that has small green bits in it.
I've tried to feed her by mixing my natural feed with applesauce (my feed is ground up wheat from my grandparents farm and mixed with protein powder).
I'm planning on separating her for the night so I can see if her crop empties completely. I have liquid corid just incase.
She hasn't laid an egg for a while, but I think I can feel the egg in her? Or maybe in wrong and its just a bone.

Here she is:
View attachment 2396922
View attachment 2396923

Here's her rear:
View attachment 2396924View attachment 2396926

But please keep in mind that im only 15 and cannot get any other medicine. My parents only see my flock as livestock, not pets. So no vet trips or anything!
Try to clean/wash the stuck poop off her so her skin doesn't get raw. Make sure the dry her really well so she doesn't get chilled. If your weather is cold, then dry her with a hair dryer before she goes out.

Are you feeling an egg inside the vent or do you feel it when you feel underneath her like between her legs?
With her not laying eggs in a while she may have a reproductive disorder. Does she have any swelling under her vent (between the legs?).

Applesauce can make the poop looser, you may want to leave that off. You can add a bit of buttermilk or yogurt to make a mash (just add some water too).

I understand you are not able to get medications so you may be limited on what you can do for her. Do your best to keep her drinking and eating.
Sometimes even with a lot of care, a hen that's suffering from laying problems continues to decline.

Let's go with your hunch she's egg bound and treat for that first. At the very least, it can help rule it out, and then we can try treating for other things.

Give her one calcium tablet, the kind people use to keep bones strong. If you don't have it on hand, a Tums tablet will work in a pinch. But a calcium citrate supplement with D3 is better.

Next, give her a brief soak in warm, soapy water to remove all that mess on her butt fluff. Then install her in a pet crate on some thick towels to absorb the discharge from her vent. Provide her with plenty of clean water to drink, and then leave her to rest, checking on her every so often to see what has come out of her.

Check back with any results or developments, and we'll decide what to do next.
Okay, ill do that! I put her in a crate last night to see if her crop empties as well. It emptied fine so im happy about that.

I'll be sure to bathe her and everything!

Try to clean/wash the stuck poop off her so her skin doesn't get raw. Make sure the dry her really well so she doesn't get chilled. If your weather is cold, then dry her with a hair dryer before she goes out.

Are you feeling an egg inside the vent or do you feel it when you feel underneath her like between her legs?
With her not laying eggs in a while she may have a reproductive disorder. Does she have any swelling under her vent (between the legs?).

Applesauce can make the poop looser, you may want to leave that off. You can add a bit of buttermilk or yogurt to make a mash (just add some water too).

I understand you are not able to get medications so you may be limited on what you can do for her. Do your best to keep her drinking and eating.
Sometimes even with a lot of care, a hen that's suffering from laying problems continues to decline.
Okay ill be sure to do that! Let's hope she doesn't mind the hairdryer

But I never knew that about applesauce! Ill try my best to not use it, thank you!
And for the egg, last I felt it felt as if it was beside one of legs, not near the vent or in the middle. I'll try to get her eating though

Okay ill be sure to do that! Let's hope she doesn't mind the hairdryer

But I never knew that about applesauce! Ill try my best to not use it, thank you!
And for the egg, last I felt it felt as if it was beside one of legs, not near the vent or in the middle. I'll try to get her eating though
If you are feeling it beside the leg, then likely it's not in the oviduct. You may be feeling a tumor, internal laying or lash material which can be common in hens.

If you are feeling it beside the leg, then likely it's not in the oviduct. You may be feeling a tumor, internal laying or lash material which can be common in hens.

Oh dang alright, well whatever it is, I might as well make her as comfy as I can.
I did wash her though. I also blow dried her and she did super well!
I mixed in some plain Greek yogurt into her feed and she ate quite a bit! She's in her crate right now in the laundry room because its raining outside and I dont want her to get a cold if I didn't dry her good enough.
I put in some scrambled eggs for some protein but she hasn't eaten them yet.

Here's an update! I put her into the coop and she just kind of laid down. Im going to let her rest there for a while because the only crate we have is a cat crate, so its small. She ate, she can drink water out there, and she has fresh air. Ill bring her in later to eat though.
Also! I got a picture of her poop, this was just a minute ago before I put her out there:
20201103_113028.jpg

Back
Top Bottom