green diarrhea, listless hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sjmjrgkmg, Jan 27, 2013.

1. sjmjrgkmg

sjmjrgkmg Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    Hi all,
    One of my seven hens has started to act sick - green diarrhea, not interested in food. Earlier, I thought I saw something that looked like an egg membrane coming out of her, but I wasn't able to get a close look, and when I checked her out an hour later I didn't see it. It might have been loose dropping clinging to her tush feathers - I'm not certain.
    She's a four year old "Golden Comet" (red sex link) and it seems like this came on quickly. I can't tell whether any of the others seem ill as well. It has been very cold here, so they've been spending a lot more time inside the coop than usual. Nothing different about the feed or bedding as far as I can recall. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Occasionally green diarrhea means the bird is hungry. If she is lowest on the pecking order she may not be getting enough food. In cold weather birds need to chow to keep warm, make sure they aren't running out of food/know they have food.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

4. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    I'm writing that in my book for future referance- green poo= not eating like needed. Please note that if u give something like alfalfa pellets (rabbit food) as a treat/ scratch and they gobble up a bunch then their poo may look like wet green pellets. Probably not relevant to your situation but for reference and all....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by