Green Egger Naked Neck Thread

Pics
So I'm guessing are these all siblings? Are you planning on breeding them together?

I'm not really one for close inbreeding, but right now I do have a rooster in with his mother, full sister, and a half sister ( she is actually his cousin also). Trying to see what I'll get from these crossing. There are also 5 other hens in with him. I'll be gathering eggs from that run for the Easter Hatch.

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with close inbreeding when done judiciously...but you must know what is held in the genetic packages you're working with and have a pretty good idea what you are looking to accomplish.

In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with close inbreeding when done judiciously...but you must know what is held in the genetic packages you're working with and have a pretty good idea what you are looking to accomplish.

I agree. But I'm still learning. Even though I've been doing this off and in for about 35 to forty years. Still ever learning. I'm trying this out to see how it goes.

Hopeful colored egg gene carrier cockerel:

In my flock, the colored egg gene had separated from pea comb and were deliberately bred single comb only for 20 years. Bad thing, makes it impossible to guess which cockerels or pullets have the gene... none of the selected pullets from last season laid colored eggs, arghh...

Hopeful colored egg gene carrier cockerel: In my flock, the colored egg gene had separated from pea comb and were deliberately bred single comb only for 20 years. Bad thing, makes it impossible to guess which cockerels or pullets have the gene... none of the selected pullets from last season laid colored eggs, arghh...
He's pretty. Do you have any EE or Ameraucanas to breed him to? That'd be a way to get the green egg gene back.

He's pretty. Do you have any EE or Ameraucanas to breed him to? That'd be a way to get the green egg gene back.

Thanks. :)

He's from a line bred separate from everything else because it was a rare combination(single+colored eggs) but now that legbars are here, I guess hoping he has it for mostly sentimental reasons.. "keep that line going".

Thanks. :)

He's from a line bred separate from everything else because it was a rare combination(single+colored eggs) but now that legbars are here, I guess hoping he has it for mostly sentimental reasons.. "keep that line going".

I can understand that. I have about four hen lines that I'm trying to keep going. I had a male line going but have lost that.

Here is a picture of one of the new GENN's babies from New Years Day Hatch:

Most are this chipmunky color, some with a little less markings.

Here's daddy:

and one of 2moms:

Last edited:
your rooster is very pretty

Thanks. I have to give him reminder every once in a while as to who's boss though. He is a very fertile rooster. Out of 14 eggs set in this clutch 13 hatched. I had one other clutch of his set also ( brown eggs that is how I can use more than one clutch in one run) that had 12 and 8 if those hatched.

Back
Top Bottom