Green Egger Naked Neck Thread

Congrats on still having green eggers around! I'm going to try setting green eggs from one hen to get some more. Only two green eggers and one blue egger hen in flock, still.

I've decided the Columbian colored peacombwd pulket is the green egg layer.

I'll try to get a photo and post later.
Ha! TO all that are asking, I kinda forgot about promising pictures. Too much has been going on in my not interesting life.

so I'll have the weekend off on the 22nd and 23rd, if it isn't raining (seems like we've had so much lately) Ill see if I can't get a shot or two. I need to get out and rearrange my breeder runs anyway. I'm shooting for a September hatch.

Congrats on still having green eggers around! I'm going to try setting green eggs from one hen to get some more. Only two green eggers and one blue egger hen in flock, still.
Kev,
Not sure how long I'll be able to keep getting any that will lay the green eggs. I'm not saving any roosters from green eggs (I do have one right now, but I'm not happy with his size and what he's throwing).

I've thought about trying to locate a Olive Egger (Marans-Ameraucana cross), but I really don't want to deal with feathered legs on my birds. The other crosses people are calling OE's aren't to my liking (Legbars-Marans, Welsumers-Legbar, varieties of brown egg layers crossed with different varieties green egg layers).

I know a lot of folks like the pea comb ( I do too), but I'm wanting to breed the GENN's to the standard other than the egg color. These oddball varieties are just practice ones. So that means that I need to get single combs and still maintain the blue egg gene. any ideals how to do that?

So you will need a Blue Egg Rooster with Single Comb... Arkansa Blue, Whiting True Blue (comb types vary but single very common), & Cream Legbar all are Blue Egg Gene birds with the comb type you want and with no leg feathers.

Kev,
Not sure how long I'll be able to keep getting any that will lay the green eggs. I'm not saving any roosters from green eggs (I do have one right now, but I'm not happy with his size and what he's throwing).

I've thought about trying to locate a Olive Egger (Marans-Ameraucana cross), but I really don't want to deal with feathered legs on my birds. The other crosses people are calling OE's aren't to my liking (Legbars-Marans, Welsumers-Legbar, varieties of brown egg layers crossed with different varieties green egg layers).

I know a lot of folks like the pea comb ( I do too), but I'm wanting to breed the GENN's to the standard other than the egg color. These oddball varieties are just practice ones. So that means that I need to get single combs and still maintain the blue egg gene. any ideals how to do that?

Yeah no real way other than getting single comb blue/green eggers. The chances of getting a single comb colored egger out of pea comb stock is extremely low.

Unfortunately OE with Marans blood is the best for weight/size gain.. however as far as I can see, a majority are pea combed plus leg feathering is not that easy to completely eliminate. It's possible to get a good number of clean leg birds by breeding them only with clean legs but there probably will be the occasional chick with partial or even full line of fuzz down their legs.

Have you looked at blue isbar or Silverudd's blue(same breed) is a genetic single comb and seem to be a little heavier than other colored eggers. Pures or crosses with heavier birds would not be such a bad idea.. only negative is they are prone to white ear lobes, not sure if you like that or not.

Yeah no real way other than getting single comb blue/green eggers. The chances of getting a single comb colored egger out of pea comb stock is extremely low.

Unfortunately OE with Marans blood is the best for weight/size gain.. however as far as I can see, a majority are pea combed plus leg feathering is not that easy to completely eliminate. It's possible to get a good number of clean leg birds by breeding them only with clean legs but there probably will be the occasional chick with partial or even full line of fuzz down their legs.

Have you looked at blue isbar or Silverudd's blue(same breed) is a genetic single comb and seem to be a little heavier than other colored eggers. Pures or crosses with heavier birds would not be such a bad idea.. only negative is they are prone to white ear lobes, not sure if you like that or not.
I really like Isbars, but price is way out of my league.

Back
Top Bottom