1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Green eggs all of a sudden from brown layers?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigclucker, Jan 27, 2010.

1. bigclucker

bigclucker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2009
    My 6 RIR have been laying for about 6 weeks, all brown eggs. I've got 6 BA ready any day (I think one laid its first Sunday), 3 New Hampshire Reds starting and 2 SLW ready any day. I also have 3 Doms but I think they are at least a month away.

The last two days, we have collected 1 green egg each day.

Don't know if it matters, but they have been given more vegetables in the last week, and I switched to Purina Layena this week from Nutrena. Other than that, no new variables.

My wife says the green she collected yesterday seems darker today.

Any thoughts ... or concerns?

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Sounds like one of your new layers has a green egg gene! I don't think shell color would be greatly affected by diet.

3. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Are you sure the ones you think are close to laying haven't begun, and started the green eggs? Is it possible that your hen may have a cross with an EE in it's background? That would be my guess. Enjoy...they taste great!

4. RickMiller

RickMiller Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2009
    Wayside
    The same thing happened to us. We thought they were all laying and then greenish/grey eggs started showing up. After watching them one weekend and figuring out who was laying it, it turns out the one we thought was a Partridge Plymouth Rock must be a bit of a mutt. She lays well though and the different color is a bit of a treat.

5. bigclucker

bigclucker Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2009
    I know all 20 weren't laying ... I've seen the NHR lay, so that leaves my prime suspect as the SLW ... could be a mix ...

Biggest question was whether there could be any issues with the egg as far as safety.

thanks!

6. imtc

imtc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2008
    I would doubt any safety issues. Just a green egg gene for that pretty shell color. enjoy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by