Green eggs, buff, red-sex links???

They just keep making random crosses and giving them a name. Now some hatcheries are even grouping EEs! Sapphire Eggers, Snowy Eggers, Olive Eggers and Moss Eggers. Really they are all just the 'mutts' of the chicken world.
They may be "mutts," but I think they give them different names because they are slightly different kinds of mutts-- some lay a different shade of green egg, some have different color feathers, and so on. So when someone orders directly from the hatchery they can have some choice about what traits their chickens will have. (And when they buy from a store, they just end up with "some kind of Easter Egger, even if it doesn't look like the Easter Egger's we are used to seeing.")

They may be "mutts," but I think they give them different names because they are slightly different kinds of mutts-- some lay a different shade of green egg, some have different color feathers, and so on. So when someone orders directly from the hatchery they can have some choice about what traits their chickens will have. (And when they buy from a store, they just end up with "some kind of Easter Egger, even if it doesn't look like the Easter Egger's we are used to seeing.")
But they are such a hodge podge that there is nothing to stop the hatcheries from substituting one for the other. And the farm stores that sell chicks don't know the difference, and will throw one breed in with the other when stocks start getting low. Without some basic differences evident in the chicks, often you have no idea what you're getting. To me it just seems like profit above customer service, and that is no way to run a business. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the chickens produced by these crosses. But it leads to confusion and mistakes. That is my main problem with it. Also, all these mixes are replacing the old breeds in the hatchery lists. I don't like that, either.

I’ve posted my “buff orpingtons ” on here because that is not at all what they were after they started growing, as im new to the chicken life I didn’t realize at rural king. Everyone said they were definitely red-sex links! Easy enough, but the plot twist is, they are laying light green eggs?! Now I’m confused!! Help a girl out. The chicken that laid this egg is the very first chicken pictured.
My "red sex link' just laid a pretty green egg too! She looks just like yours. I am pleased and surprised!

I’ve posted my “buff orpingtons ” on here because that is not at all what they were after they started growing, as im new to the chicken life I didn’t realize at rural king. Everyone said they were definitely red-sex links! Easy enough, but the plot twist is, they are laying light green eggs?! Now I’m confused!! Help a girl out. The chicken that laid this egg is the very first chicken pictured.
Rural king is so bad at that, 2 of my chicks died from there. I have no idea and if the eeg is that color especially. I’d say yea red sex link but idk.

I believe it's a starlight green egger. They can look a lot like red sex links but are a new strain of Easter eggers. Probably they are crosses with red sex links, which accounts for the similarity in appearance.
They must be bred with red links because she matured fast and laid early like a red sexlink. And overtly friendly too. Here's mine.

Attachments

• 269972388_10158688495128002_1599694289942744204_n.jpg
    269972388_10158688495128002_1599694289942744204_n.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 269857746_10158688495218002_4538251483081590085_n.jpg
    269857746_10158688495218002_4538251483081590085_n.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom