1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Green eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LynninOK, Dec 9, 2011.

1. LynninOK

LynninOK Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    For several months, on a regular basis, I was getting one beautiful green egg from one of my (almost) nine month old pullets. I'm not quite sure lays them. For the last two weeks, or so, they stopped. I am now getting all brown eggs. My question is, is it possible for for a hen to start laying green eggs and then start laying brown?

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Nope. Look for a hen with a pea comb, greenish legs and/or fluffy cheeks. That'd be your easter egger [​IMG]

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

One of my EE's......still waiting for an egg from them....26 weeks!

4. LynninOK

LynninOK Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2011
    Claremore, Oklahoma
    I don't have any Easter Eggers, though. And I'm still wondering... Where did my green eggs go? I would blame the weather, but even my cranky Yokohama is still laying (or at least she was until she started molting, poor thing, a little late in the season for that.) I was pretty sure (through observation) that the "dealer" was one of my so called Lavender Orpington Splits (who also have crests, which is not "correct", I know.) Maybe it's my giant white chicken with green eggs, who I've really thought might be a White Jersey Giant? Maybe she is a hatchery Ameraucana that doesn't have the fluffy cheeks, which I LOVE!! The white chicken does have green legs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Oh but yes you do. :)One of the one's I bought as a RIR layed me a green egg and still does. This time of year about 4 a week. She wasn't a RIR but the other.

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    An Easter Egger can look like anything but I'd put my money on the green-legged hen. [​IMG]

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:me too....here is my EE mix roo....they can look like anything!
    [​IMG]

8. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Quote:Oh my goodness - she's georgeous [​IMG]

9. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
  10. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

How about this... I have an Australorp that is laying me a green egg. I was totally shocked. I thought they layed brown. Well, I guess she's an EE in disguise! BUT she looks 100% Australorp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by