Green foamy diarrhea, dirty butt fluff?

topochico225

Enthusiasm Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2020
Deep South
Hello!

My 8 month Cinnamon Queen pullet Flo seems to be having some digestive issues. She pooped an olive green, foamy diarrhea and when I saw her rear the white butt fluff was very dirty. No solid poop, just diarrhea. She's very skittish so she won't let us hold her and I don't want to cause her trauma, but I got a brief peek at her vent and the feathers around it in about a 2 inch radius were bare. No blood, just no feathers. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures because the others trampled her poop because they thought I had food.

What could this be? Is she ill?

Thanks!

Yes, she's ill. Poop is just one symptom. You are going to need to take her off the roost and bring her in for a thorough exam.

How is she behaving? Fluffed up, eyes dull, lethargic, self isolating off from the others, tail down low and flat?

Is she laying? If so, when was her last egg?

Have you checked her crop? Check it in the morning to be sure it's emptying over night.

Look inside her mouth and throat. Check her ears for swelling and discharge. Feel her abdomen for swelling. Check her keel bone for weight loss.

Has she been digging in any rotting compost? Has she been drinking out of any stagnant puddles?

Yes, she's ill. Poop is just one symptom. You are going to need to take her off the roost and bring her in for a thorough exam.

How is she behaving? Fluffed up, eyes dull, lethargic, self isolating off from the others, tail down low and flat?

Have you checked her crop? Check it in the morning to be sure it's emptying over night.

Look inside her mouth and throat. Check her ears for swelling and discharge. Feel her abdomen for swelling. Check her keel bone for weight loss.

Has she been digging in any rotting compost? Has she been drinking out of any stagnant puddles?
She is behaving fine, up on a roost, eating with the others, moving fine. We got two eggs yesterday (3 chickens) and two today, but it's still early. Her crop looked a little full this morning, 1/5 maybe? I'll get my mom to hold her while I check her over. No compost that I know of, we have a compost bin but the girls avoid it. No puddles.

Nothing in eyes/nares/mouth/ears, but I did see some poop stuck to her butt feathers. She's always been a bit of a beanpole, but I could feel her keel bone quite easily. Should we deworm?

She's underweight if you can feel her keel bone prominent. Yes, it will do absolutely no harm to both deworm and treat her with a round of Corid in case she has a coccidia load and worms. I would give her a Corid drench along with the Corid water - .1ml per estimated pound of weight once a day for three days in addition to the Corid water.

Hello!

My 8 month Cinnamon Queen pullet Flo seems to be having some digestive issues. She pooped an olive green, foamy diarrhea and when I saw her rear the white butt fluff was very dirty. No solid poop, just diarrhea. She's very skittish so she won't let us hold her and I don't want to cause her trauma, but I got a brief peek at her vent and the feathers around it in about a 2 inch radius were bare. No blood, just no feathers. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures because the others trampled her poop because they thought I had food.

What could this be? Is she ill?

Thanks!
She is behaving fine, up on a roost, eating with the others, moving fine. We got two eggs yesterday (3 chickens) and two today, but it's still early. Her crop looked a little full this morning, 1/5 maybe? I'll get my mom to hold her while I check her over. No compost that I know of, we have a compost bin but the girls avoid it. No puddles.
Nothing in eyes/nares/mouth/ears, but I did see some poop stuck to her butt feathers. She's always been a bit of a beanpole, but I could feel her keel bone quite easily. Should we deworm?
Please post photos - the hen, the vent, the poop.

She's acting fine, eating/drinking/active/roosting.

What do you normally feed, do you free range, what type of treats/goodies have you given in the last couple of days?

If she's got poop stuck to her feathers, then give her a clean-up.

What do you normally feed, do you free range, what type of treats/goodies have you given in the last couple of days?

I'll get photos when I can, will definitely be today. They get Nature's Best organic layer pellets. They've been free ranging more than usual, because we've been at home in quarantine, about 9 am-sundown. They get table scraps, not a ton, but some every day.

She's underweight if you can feel her keel bone prominent. Yes, it will do absolutely no harm to both deworm and treat her with a round of Corid in case she has a coccidia load and worms. I would give her a Corid drench along with the Corid water - .1ml per estimated pound of weight once a day for three days in addition to the Corid water.
Where do I get Corid? Also, how do I deworm? Sorry if that's a dumb question, we've had chickens for years and have never had to deworm.

20210122_134350.jpg
20210122_134241.jpg
20210122_134308.jpg
20210122_134104.jpg

Back
Top Bottom