Green Roof for Coop and Cement Board

cukooformarans

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Alabama
:frowI am about to build a coop and really love the idea of a green roof. In the interest of using what we have on hand, I was wondering if concrete board would make an acceptable base. (We have a little left over from a tiling project.) Y'all be gentle if this is a dumb question- I know nothing about construction and can't find anything that specifically addresses this question on this site or online. :confused:

I'm unsure of what a concrete board is. Do you have a picture?
I would think that would add a lot of weight to the roof.
On a green roof do you add soil for the plants? That would add weight too. You wouldn't want it to collapse onto your birds...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/USG-Dur...-Cement-Board-with-EdgeGuard-172954/304163165
This is a link to the product. It is heavy, so we would definitely have to support it well. But I thought it may hold up to moisture and the weight of the bed better than plywood. Of course, we would also have to install a moisture barrier. From what I understand, people typically use a mixture of soil and lighter weight materials for the growing medium, but it is still heavy. :)

Back
Top Bottom