Green runny poo - But all look and act well (apart from a half bald one....)

monkeyjason

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 22, 2011
MK, England.
Hi,

I have a young 1 year old flock of three hens. All raised from day olds and in a 20ftx20ft run with a coop and nesting box.

About a month back, one started acting sleepy, losing weight and isolating her self. the vets gave her two types of antibiotics and she is now at a steady weight and acting much more like her self with no sleepy patches and eating well.

At the time she wasn't infecting the other hens, they where all laying and quite happy.

Now, i have three Hens who all have green runny poo, and one is half Bald, well she looks like a porcupine anyway.....

They all have clean fresh water, all eat layers pellets, with mixed corn, i treat for worms and disinfect the whole coop and nesting box with mite killer each and every month, with a clean out weekly.

All the birds still have energy and are acting as they usually would do. No eggs however and they are strong layers (hybrid)

Any ideas on the mystery green poop and how i can get my girls back to full health and laying again?

I'm not sure the first hens illness has anything to do with this one if I'm honest, her poo when sick was totally different to all their poo now.

Usually when you see the green diarrhea it means they aren't eating enough for some reason. Could be worms, could be disease, could be sour crop/impacted crop, etc.

Over here vets will do a fecal float for worms testing for a small fee. Even though you have been treating for worms, there are different kinds of worms and your medication might not kill them all. False negatives are possible.

I'd consider this chart also- if you notice there are many causes for green droppings and thus if that is your only sign I don't really know what to tell you:
http://www.welphatchery.com/poultry_health.asp

Check their crops to see that they are empty in the morning as they should be. Watch for other signs of illness. Make sure you don't have moldy feed or any other problem that might cause them to drop off eating.

Hi thanks for the response and sorry for the delay in mine.

I used Epsom salts and flushed them out. Also changed them off layers pellets to layers crumb.

They seemed to have gone off the pellets?

But seems to have worked well. Now only the occasional runny one :) which I understand is normal.

Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom