Green Shell Eggs?

Quote:
Eggs come in the following colors, depending on breed.
White, off white, tan, brown, chocolate, black, grey, blue, green and pink.
Mallard eggs are green, just like Muskovie eggs.
Congratulations to your duck!

I'd be so excited if Ziggy (was supposed to be a drake, thus the name) was laying eggs! I'd be egg-cited to have an Easter Egger too!

It's just a surprise to see the greenish/blue eggs!
smile.png

Quote:
If they are from Zigs, that would be so funny, as I was just talking with one of friends last week about whether or not she'd lay. She's very small. I wouldn't imagine her eggs being large. She's half the size of my hens, and like a flea sized to my Roos! LOL

I'm relieved that the shell color is not a sign of distress or illness. That's what I was most worried about.

Thank you to everyone for your assistance! I will keep watching posts and see what others say as well! I think the Jury is still out and whether or not it's Ziggy (duck) or Dolly (maybe not an RIR after all!)

wee.gif

Keep us posted and let us know if you catch them in the act! So what comes first - the chicken or the egg? Or the DUCk and the egg? LOL!

Can you post a pic of your duck? Male malllards have a bright green head with a ring around the neck, a darker chest and pale wings. The female is mostly brown all over. Mallards do lay green eggs. Is the egg sort of translucent with a larger yolk than a chicken egg?

my vote is in for the mallard. they lay pale green eggs.
if she's a true mallard (wild breed) the egg will generally be smaller than the chicken eggs.

Quote:
If they are from Zigs, that would be so funny, as I was just talking with one of friends last week about whether or not she'd lay. She's very small. I wouldn't imagine her eggs being large. She's half the size of my hens, and like a flea sized to my Roos! LOL

I'm relieved that the shell color is not a sign of distress or illness. That's what I was most worried about.

Thank you to everyone for your assistance! I will keep watching posts and see what others say as well! I think the Jury is still out and whether or not it's Ziggy (duck) or Dolly (maybe not an RIR after all!)

wee.gif

I dont believe the color of the egg shell changes with illness.. just the bird itself..
hu.gif
I could be wrong but I think its your duck

Your mallard is a female so it is possible that she's the source of your green eggs.

They each were laying 2-3 eggs a day.

Are you sure that a single chicken is laying 2-3 eggs per day?​

Back
Top Bottom