1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Green Shell Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Whispering_Raven, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Whispering_Raven

Whispering_Raven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Ashland City, TN
    [​IMG]

Ok.....I have noticed a new addition to our eggs. GREEN EGGS! I have 4 RIR hens, 1 Rock Bantam hen, 2 Rock Roosters and a Female Mallard Duck. I have two RIRs using the same nest and have gotten VERY BROODY! They each were laying 2-3 eggs a day. Then I lost track so I just marked the eggs in the nest, and let them be. I check every day after I get them off the nest to eat and take the eggs that are not marked.

Two days ago I noticed a green shelled egg in a different nest. No idea who laid it. This morning, in one of the other houses, I noticed 4 green eggs. Could my duck be laying these eggs? Are they "bad eggs"? Should I collect them? [​IMG]

ANY help would be greatly appreciated! I'll get some pics and post a bit later.

Thanks all!

Tracy

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Having green shelled eggs is not bad. I don't know if your duck is laying them. It's very possible that they are from your duck but I dont know.

3. ddmiddle7

ddmiddle7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Pics would help the best...also post some pics of your hens. Sounds to me you may have an Easter Egger hen...which is a cross bred hen. They are usually a cross of a blue egg layer and a brown egg layer. Do any of the hens have a pea comb instead of the big red comb on their heads? I have two EEs. Here's pics of them...notice their combs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't think they are bad eggs though. You could always do the float test. Fill a deep bowl of water and place the eggs in them one at a time. If the eggs float they are bad, if they stay at the bottom they are good.

4. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Quote:Eggs come in the following colors, depending on breed.
    White, off white, tan, brown, chocolate, black, grey, blue, green and pink.
    Mallard eggs are green, just like Muskovie eggs.
    Congratulations to your duck!

5. Whispering_Raven

Jul 9, 2011
    Ashland City, TN
    Quote:YES! My precious Dolly has an itty bitty comb. I've never seen her lay an egg or sing the chicken song and I just assumed she wouldn't lay. I've seen her on the next though keeping eggs warm while the other hens forage. I'll go out an take some pics. BRB

6. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

How exciting to find an egg of a different color!! [​IMG]

7. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Whispering_Raven,
    The shell of that egg will feel waxy if it is your duck laying it.

8. Whispering_Raven

Jul 9, 2011
    Ashland City, TN
    This is my lovey dovey Dolly

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the Green Eggs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This what our eggs normally look like

[​IMG]

Here's a pic of a couple of the other hens to see if there is much difference (other than the Bantam of course) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I'd be guessing it is from your duck! [​IMG] Congrats!

10. Chicky-dees

Chicky-dees Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Wow - what a fun mystery! I was thinking along the same lines as the others, that you might have an Ameracuna bred into the bunch somewhere in a past generation. Or the duck! But my Mallard eggs have always been a bit larger than my chicken eggs, and the inside yolk was a bit larger as well. Don't know if that helps, but what a neat surprise!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by