Green Shell Eggs?

Whispering_Raven

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 9, 2011
Ashland City, TN
ep.gif

Ok.....I have noticed a new addition to our eggs. GREEN EGGS! I have 4 RIR hens, 1 Rock Bantam hen, 2 Rock Roosters and a Female Mallard Duck. I have two RIRs using the same nest and have gotten VERY BROODY! They each were laying 2-3 eggs a day. Then I lost track so I just marked the eggs in the nest, and let them be. I check every day after I get them off the nest to eat and take the eggs that are not marked.

Two days ago I noticed a green shelled egg in a different nest. No idea who laid it. This morning, in one of the other houses, I noticed 4 green eggs. Could my duck be laying these eggs? Are they "bad eggs"? Should I collect them?
idunno.gif

ANY help would be greatly appreciated! I'll get some pics and post a bit later.

Thanks all!

Tracy

Pics would help the best...also post some pics of your hens. Sounds to me you may have an Easter Egger hen...which is a cross bred hen. They are usually a cross of a blue egg layer and a brown egg layer. Do any of the hens have a pea comb instead of the big red comb on their heads? I have two EEs. Here's pics of them...notice their combs.
81976_img_20110722_195906.jpg

81976_img_20110722_195408.jpg

I don't think they are bad eggs though. You could always do the float test. Fill a deep bowl of water and place the eggs in them one at a time. If the eggs float they are bad, if they stay at the bottom they are good.

Quote:
Eggs come in the following colors, depending on breed.
White, off white, tan, brown, chocolate, black, grey, blue, green and pink.
Mallard eggs are green, just like Muskovie eggs.
Congratulations to your duck!

Quote:
YES! My precious Dolly has an itty bitty comb. I've never seen her lay an egg or sing the chicken song and I just assumed she wouldn't lay. I've seen her on the next though keeping eggs warm while the other hens forage. I'll go out an take some pics. BRB

This is my lovey dovey Dolly

99290_dolly_08-30-011b.jpg

99290_dolly_3.jpg

Here are the Green Eggs

99290_blackberry_001.jpg

99290_blackberry_002.jpg

99290_blackberry_003.jpg

This what our eggs normally look like

99290_blackberry_004.jpg

Here's a pic of a couple of the other hens to see if there is much difference (other than the Bantam of course)
smile.png

99290_blackberry_008.jpg

Wow - what a fun mystery! I was thinking along the same lines as the others, that you might have an Ameracuna bred into the bunch somewhere in a past generation. Or the duck! But my Mallard eggs have always been a bit larger than my chicken eggs, and the inside yolk was a bit larger as well. Don't know if that helps, but what a neat surprise!!

Back
Top Bottom