Green slime around underdeveloped chick?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cara, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Cara

Cara Songster

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I think that's it. It says it can be caused by excessive humidity, and I had humidity problems the first day or so. It also says it can happen in cracked eggs; they all arrived intact, but some of my hatched chicks chipped a little piece off that shell yesterday. I wonder whether that let the infection in. There was nothing visibly wrong with the chick.

I had a 'miracle chick' yesterday. It was struggling to get the shell off its butt, and I made the mistake of pulling it. There was an awful lot of blood coming from its butt, and it just layed there so I thought it must be dead. I set it in a box to take outside, and went to wash my hands, and when I came back it caught my eye and I saw it was breathing. I set it back in the incubator, and when I got up this morning it was cheeping and walking around.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

If the green stuff was only a "sac" then it could also be the embryonic "chicken poo" that collects in it.

3. Cara

Cara Songster

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    The membrane with the veins was full of the green slime, but there wasn't any outside of that. It was more watery than the poop that is stuck to them when they hatch, and there was a lot of it. I'm surprised it didn't smell, it looked disgusting.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD

I wonder if the yolk went bad and so it turned green and what you were seeing was an infected yolk sac?

5. Cara

Cara Songster

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    The green stuff wasn't in its own separate sac, but the veiny membrane was acting like a sac holding the chick and the green goo. Sorry if i'm being confusing. There's no way I could have taken a picture, it was too yucky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: