Green stuff in my waterer

gwill23

Songster
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Grangeville Idaho
I have two waterers. One is a 5 gallon buket and the other is a metal one from the store. I am noticing when I clean them out to put freash water in them they have green alge in them. Mostly around the lid of the 5 gallon bucket. It is white so I can see it better but it is in both. Is there anything I can add to the water that will keep that from happening? That will keep the water clean. I worry when I am gone for a week and they don't get cleaned as often.

As far as I know, there's nothing that you can add to the water which will keep the algae from growing, without also harming the chickens. Just scrub it out before you go away for a week, and they should be fine.
smile.png

per MSU http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

They
have alot of other common treatments too.

SANITIZING SOLUTIONS

These solutions will reduce or eliminate slime and most disease organisms in water, drinkers, and water lines.

For Constant Use

1 teaspoon chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite) in 5 gallons of drinking water

This solution provides 11 ppm chlorine for sanitizing. The birds will drink the water and not be harmed by drinking it. They may need a short time to become accustomed to this solution. A more dilute solution with half the above level of bleach can be offered for a few days before using the 11 ppm solution. Clean the waterers thoroughly each day to get the best effect.

Weekly Sanitizing Rinse Solution

1 oz Chlorine Bleach in 6-8 gallons water

Rinse, soak, or expose equipment to this solution. Let stand at least one hour, then rinse with fresh water. This solution contains equivalent to 45 ppm chlorine. The procedure is most effective if conducted on a weekly basis. Remember, chlorine disinfectants are inactivated by organic matter. Clean all equipment well before using chlorine rinse solutions.

I put apple cider vinegar inside my waterers to prevent mold and algea and I find that I do not have to scrub them out from any build up, and the apple cider vinegar is also good for the chickens, good wormer preventive. When adding it to the water, there is no such thing as putting too much inside. I put 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar to 1 gallon of water, but I also have other waterers with just plain water. I have always used store brand ACV, but I have been reading threads on here lately that others are using the organic ciders. Hope this helps.

Do not put Apple Cider Vinegar in metal waters but the bleach soluation is fine. Also, are your waterers exposed to light or heat directly? If so, try moving them into the shade.

I find that emptying the waterers every other day if the girls do not, is the easiest way for 5 gallon waterers. My one gallons I empty, rinse and refill daily.

Quote:
because vinegar is acidic and most metal wateriers are galvanized and it cause a chemical reaction, if you have a stainless waterier it would be ok, but they are not easy to find and would be expensive if you did

Back
Top Bottom