Green thumb is itching, anyone else?

Going to plant the garlic today. I'm trying to get back to some kind of normalcy. People are on the verge of killing each other over gas here on Long Island.i have a full tank and I'm staying put. My husbands veterinary practice is about 40 minutes from our house and he is running out of gas. His practice doesn't have any electric still, very sad.
The only other thing I have left to do is dig up my Jerusalem artichokes and wrap my blueberry bushes. Hopefully I can get to that today also.
Everyone please stay safe and keep us in your thoughts.
Carol

No problem! Some seeds need a certain amount of time spent below freezing in order to germinate (I'm learning all kinds of stuff since moving to a cold climate lol). Not sure if these are like that but I put some in a spaghetti sauce jar and they'll spend the winter under my steps just in case. I don't think it can hurt!

Got my first seed catalog.

Been working on garden clean up, still harvesting broccoli and greens (chois, chards, spinach etc...)

Planning on some winter sowing this year. I think I am going to do it direct though, going to play w/ the idea of direct winter sowing tomatoes and covering them w/ Dt Dew bottles w/ the cap removed and bottom cut off. But that won't be until after Jan or so, getting the spots ready now though. Also want to make at least one key hole garden for next year.

No problem! Some seeds need a certain amount of time spent below freezing in order to germinate (I'm learning all kinds of stuff since moving to a cold climate lol). Not sure if these are like that but I put some in a spaghetti sauce jar and they'll spend the winter under my steps just in case. I don't think it can hurt!

What did you finally decide they were? I'm in zone 7 . I was thinking of putting some in the ground now. Like you said it couldnt hurt.
Thanks again Carol

I believe it is campsis radicans (sp?). I'll be building a short stretch of privacy fence. It'll just hide my junk/treasure area at the back of the property. I think I'll plant some of them along tye fence. It sounds like the may require some pruning to keep them under control but I haven't figured out if the blossoms come from old wood or new shoots. My wysteria was kind if tricky to prune because the blossoms come from old wood and you can really screw things up when pruning.

Got my first seed catalog.

Been working on garden clean up, still harvesting broccoli and greens (chois, chards, spinach etc...)

Planning on some winter sowing this year. I think I am going to do it direct though, going to play w/ the idea of direct winter sowing tomatoes and covering them w/ Dt Dew bottles w/ the cap removed and bottom cut off. But that won't be until after Jan or so, getting the spots ready now though. Also want to make at least one key hole garden for next year.

Kassaundra I would REALLY like to know more about your plans for the keyhole garden.
Several months ago I decided that I wanted to try veggi gardening again (last time was a flop). I have lots of space and want to eventually expand to be able to offer veggies to friends and the local food bank. But for now, I have been researching methods that I can 1. handle on my own 2. tend after work and weekends 3. not require a tiller. I found circle/keyhole gardens. But all the stuff I've come up with talks about them being raised - REALLY raised, like waist or shoulder high.
Is there a reason that its not recommended to do this at ground level?

Kassaundra I would REALLY like to know more about your plans for the keyhole garden.
Several months ago I decided that I wanted to try veggi gardening again (last time was a flop). I have lots of space and want to eventually expand to be able to offer veggies to friends and the local food bank. But for now, I have been researching methods that I can 1. handle on my own 2. tend after work and weekends 3. not require a tiller. I found circle/keyhole gardens. But all the stuff I've come up with talks about them being raised - REALLY raised, like waist or shoulder high.
Is there a reason that its not recommended to do this at ground level?
How are you going to put that much wood in the garden dirt if you do it at ground level??? As far as I understand it is all the packing of the raised bed w/ wood that makes it so drought resistant. I have been brainstorming ideas for cheap easy wall materials, I think I'm going to try firewood. I know it won't last forever, but it should last a few years anyway and by that time maybe I would be able to afford a more permenant solution like cement blocks or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom