Green wet poop...

I did SafeGuard 2 weeks ago, should I do another round of it? Yeah, even my regular vet won’t do a fecal test for me. Some stuff I read talked about it being green just from excess bile and just not eating enough food. But why she’s not eating enough, that’s the question. Guess I’ll try the corid and cross my fingers.

No I would not worm again if you gave 1/4 ml per pound once and again after 10-14 days. I am just trying to cover every possibility. I am not certain that these work but there are commercial fecal tests available online at Amazon and KVSupply: https://www.kvsupply.com/item/fecal-worm-testhome-kit/E013362/
91ELhC6zdyL._SY879_.jpg

I’ve only done one dosing so far. I did the 1mg/kg of fenbendazole for 5 days dosage. Which converted, ended up being .03mL/bird of SafeGuard. I did that dosage since it’s approved in the UK for no egg withdrawal time. Maybe I’ll do a second round for just her at the higher dosage? Since I don’t know if she’s laying or not anyway? We’ve only had chickens since February and I’m already tired of dealing with illnesses. Ugh...

Oh yes, I remember that you had a thread about SafeGuard Aquachlor. The concentrated paste or goat wormer are best for difficult worms such as capillary worms. It would not be a bad idea to dose just her. Chickens are usually not that hard to deal with, especially if you raise them from day old chicks.

Chickens are usually not that hard to deal with, especially if you raise them from day old chicks.
Funny you say that. Our first 3 we got at 3mo old (this ill one is one of those) and our other 7 we got a couple months later at 2mo old. We’ve had multiple rounds of “colds” and respiratory issues, put one down for possible marek’s, roundworms, one we treated for canker (though I don’t think that’s what it ended up being), now whatever this is.

In contrast to our next door neighbor. Who has 12 chickens, all of which they raised from chicks. And they’ve never had to treat for any kind of illness and have only lost chickens to predators.

So frustrating. We have decided though the next time we decide to get more chickens, we will buy chicks and raise them up!

Well, I can't figure out how to update the title. But here's an update anyway. There's been practically no change. After being like this for like over a week now. She still barely eats, still has low energy, still has the same green wet poop. I've ascertained that the green poop is from not eating enough and having excess bile. I've done the 2nd round of SafeGuard. I've done the 5 days of Corid. I've been adding Nutri-Drench to the water. I've been adding probiotics to the feed. I'm thinking of asking my husband to just put her out of her misery at this point. There's not too much more I think I can even do for her. Which stinks because she had been like our most consistent layer. I never imagined that within the first 6mo of owning chickens I'd already be having to put down 2 of them. :(

Well, I can't figure out how to update the title. But here's an update anyway. There's been practically no change. After being like this for like over a week now. She still barely eats, still has low energy, still has the same green wet poop. I've ascertained that the green poop is from not eating enough and having excess bile. I've done the 2nd round of SafeGuard. I've done the 5 days of Corid. I've been adding Nutri-Drench to the water. I've been adding probiotics to the feed. I'm thinking of asking my husband to just put her out of her misery at this point. There's not too much more I think I can even do for her. Which stinks because she had been like our most consistent layer. I never imagined that within the first 6mo of owning chickens I'd already be having to put down 2 of them. :(
I am so sorry that you are continuing to have problems.

I highly recommend ordering chicks next time around.
Also...you may want to send her for a necropsy to know exactly what you are dealing with. ( I am probably too late but remember that for next time.)

Back
Top Bottom