Green yolks instead of yellow/orange?

Windy Ridge Farm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Wetumpka, Alabama
My Crested Pekin ducks have been hitting the pond pretty heavy the last few days and the yolks of their eggs are an olive green instead of the usual color. I'm assuming this is from all the duck weed I HOPE they're consuming? This time of year I don't save any eggs for the incubator, just use them in cakes, etc. but the color is REALLY grossing me out and I've been giving them to my dogs instead of consuming them. Is this typical? I've never noticed it in any of my runner duck eggs. Thanks for any imput on this.

Yes, oak trees, hickory trees, every tree imaginable for this area. It's only the last few days though that they've really been "working" the pond edges. I've just never seen this or heard of it before and as I said it is not an appealing color. LOL. I was making a custard pie tonight and thought , yuck, if I stick those duck eggs in it's going to be GREEN.

Sounds like time to make green eggs and ham
smile.png

I'll crack one later today and try to get a photo of it. My husband said he did see them under the oak trees yesterday and assumed they were eating acorns. That seems to make the most sense.

I'm the one who posted the other one a few days ago. We called a vet who deals with birds and they want to do cultures, as they are inclined to think it is some kind of internal infection. I'll keep you posted if you're interested.

Sure - I'm game. Funny, I cracked the one after that day open and they were all like chicken eggs. Haven't had any green ones since then but I really do think it was the acorns that did it. Keep me posted please?

Jo

Back
Top Bottom