Greenfamilyfarm's Method to Shipping Eggs

greenfamilyfarms

Big Pippin'
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Elizabethtown, NC
We have had inquiries about how we package our eggs for shipping. While I was packaging up some Buff Orpington eggs this morning, I took a few pictures of the process. This shipment was for 6+ eggs (sent 8), so for larger shipments, you will need to adjust the size of the box and amount of packing material used. You can see the step-by-step method we use to pack our eggs by clicking here.

We prefer to order our free shipping materials (boxes, stickers) and print our shipping labels online through www.usps.com. Printing your own labels saves money and time, and you get free delivery confirmation.

For orders of up to 30 eggs, we use the 12x12x8 box. For small orders up to 8 eggs, we use the 7x7x8. I've had bad results experimenting using the shoe box size and the other odd shaped boxes. Flat rate boxes do ok, but since they are more shallow, you can't fit as many eggs in them without a lot of breakage. We also do not like to use peanuts and shavings. They tend to shift around in the box and eggs get broken (externally and/or internally). Another thing that makes me cringe are eggs wrapped in paper towels and placed in an egg carton. Egg cartons are necessarily a bad thing if done correctly and if enough material is used to cushion the eggs (polyfil, shredded paper, etc.). You do not want eggs to move during shipping.

We have used the above shipping method for 3 years and have little reports of breakages. We have also gotten more good hatch rates using this method. I'm not saying that our packing method is superior to other packing methods, but it is working well for us.

If you would like more details about shipping eggs, please contact us. Thanks, and happy hatching!

Last edited:
bow.gif
Thank you for sharing.. I haven't had to many be broken that I have shipped. But I always like to learn better ways of packing them.

That's quite an impressive and wonderful way to ship!
I've purchased eggs from Ebay and have been quite disappointed with the packaging. The eggs had little to no hatch rate. My hatching eggs are always carefully and individually wrapped as well. Great thought and consideration is taken with each shipment. After all, it is my side business! So, I would never want to dishearten a customer who expects to hear a cheep, cheep, cheep!
Kudo's to every seller that puts forth tremendous effort to ensure a wonderful hatch rate with careful packaging!

I love to see well-packed eggs! The last batch I got on ebay was awesome. Instead of using newspaper or styro peanuts to fill the voids in the box, she used popcorn! The box smelled lovely, I love how "green" it is, and my birds enjoyed the treat.
thumbsup.gif

Aw so I probably don't have a hope in heck of finding it. Too bad. I'd have pink everything if I could probably.

Thanks for sharing the pics
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
Popcorn sounds like a good "green" packing material, but if my dogs smelled it... they would steal the box and eat it.
lau.gif
I don't know why I go out of my way to buy them highquality grain-free dog food. They eat chicken food and spilled grain every chance they can get. That and they eat acorns too
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom