Greenfield Indiana poultry ordinance-want to change it?

Lexie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Greenfield, IN
If you are looking for the ordinance on raising chickens within Greenfield, Indiana city limits you will have a hard time finding it. I called every office I could think of including animal control and the city. I emailed all of them as well. No one seemed to know for sure but the general consensus seemed to be that hens are allowed in low numbers but roosters are not. Feeling that I had exhausted all the information that was out there (including doing a search on ordinances for the city) I bought my new babies, a coop, run, materials etc...

After I have everything ready I get an email response saying chickens are not allowed in city limits. The ordinance is as follows:

~~90.11 KEEPING DOMESTIC FARM ANIMALS. It shall be unlawful for any person to own, keep, or have custody of on his or her property within the city limits any bovine, porcine, equine, gallus gallus, or other domestic farm animal. (Ord. 2009-15, passed 5-27-09) Penalty, see § 90.99

It was also suggested that I contact one of our council members JUDY because she has already had several other requests. SO if you are reading this, please email Judy Swift at [email protected] and let your voice be heard. If you are willing help please send me a message. I've asked friends for help and I've been told it is a waste of time and Greenfield will never change it. Perhaps that is true but we will never know unless we keep trying.

The reason I couldn't find this ordinance when I did a search is because I didn't think of searching under the scientific name "Gallus gallus". Silly me I checked under "hens", "Chickens", "Poultry" and "Rooster"....

I have the same problem, I have emailed Judy as per your suggestion. Before this i have also emailed Kerry Grass, Animal Management advised us to contact Chuck Anderson, apparently Mayor Pasco was working on changing the ordinances to allow chickens and pot bellied pigs before he passed. we have left voice mails and have sent emails, no response yet. I have also emailed http://www.naptownchickens.org, i was told that they helped get the rules changed down in Franklin, maybe they can help in Greenfield.

Anything we can do to help please let us know.

We were told by animal control to contact Chuck Anderson. We've called and emailed. I will also email Judy. I am very interested in raising my own chickens but unfortunately I live within Greenfield city limits. Hopefully more people show interest and support on here as well.

A new facebook page called, "Chickens in Greenfield Indiana" has been started. Please check it out when you can and post anything you think would be helpful in getting our ordinance changed to allow chickens within city limits.

I am very interested in getting the restriction against chickens lifted. I have tried to find any recent efforts against the ordinance, but I haven't found anything. I have searched for the FB page, Chickens in Greenfield, and after not finding it, I have started a page with the exact same name. I have been talking with a few people in the Indy chicken scene and they told me that there have been citites around indy that have recently gotten their ordinances against backyard chicken lifted. I am a total newbie at this (changing policy) but I am more than willing to put in the time and effort to get this done. :) You can email me at [email protected]. I hope to hear from fellow chicken lovers!

Back
Top Bottom