Greens beds.

Wolfie2

Songster
7 Years
Feb 23, 2016
South of Houston
I have 2 What I call greens beds in my run (Wooden frame, planted, with hardware cloth over the top). One I put in this past fall because the first was grazed heavily. They are planted with a fall deer plot mix. Clover, rye, oats and winter peas. The winter peas do not withstand the grazing and die early. They grazed them both heavily over the winter in spite of the native grasses/weeds still green. My situation is, they seem to have stopped grazing the beds. The vegetation is now 6 inches above the hardware cloth. This has never happened before. Seems as if they have lost interest in it. They do "free range" for several hours a day but this has never stopped them before as they are still in the run for several hours each day. Was I overeager in putting in the second bed? Should I try killing the beds and putting in another crop?

plants that are continuously grazed become tough and tougher. and also more toxic. rotate them onto fresh pasture as much as possibile.

I’ll bet if you fence them out of those beds, they will greatly want the veg! But maybe plant something new in one bed and see what they do. Great idea for the flock!

I've removed the tops in hopes they will dig it up. Then I will plant something for a summer crop. Also spread some of their evening scratch in them to attract the girls to dig around in it. Already some evidence they will eventually turn it over. Thanks for the replies.

I've removed the tops in hopes they will dig it up. Then I will plant something for a summer crop. Also spread some of their evening scratch in them to attract the girls to dig around in it. Already some evidence they will eventually turn it over. Thanks for the replies.
This sounds like a good approach...start fresh after giving them a chance to completely obliterate what's there now. Let us know how it turns out!

Back
Top Bottom