Greenville/Upstate!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Chicken0Boy, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Chicken0Boy

Chicken0Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

I am on the South Carolina thread, but I really want a thread for all us Greenville/Upstate area. Well, to start of I have 6 chickens. 3 Silkie Hens, 1 Cochin Roo, and 2 Frizzle Cochin Hens. In may I am gettign some cuckoo marans, buttercups, e.e's, and sumatras. I am also wanting to expand my 6x6 coop to a 12x6 coop. [​IMG] I don't think I will ever not want more chickens! Am I the only one in Greenville/Upstate with chickens? I sure hope not. [​IMG]

2. Joycats

Joycats Chillin' With My Peeps

Nope, you're not alone - I am here! I'm between Greenville/Spartanburg. I have lots of chickens, not sure how many and probably best I don't really know. I have cuckoo marans, blue standard cochins, buff orpingtons, silver laced wyandottes, white leghorns, barred plymouth rocks, blue and black jersey giants, polish crested and bantam breeds I have silkies, mille fleur d'uccles, crele and barred wyandottes, silver sebrights, blue d'uccles, cochins, white plymouth rocks, rhode island reds, olde english (white, blue wheaten, wheaten, silver duckwing). I also have lots of new breeds coming along such as black copper marans. Besides chickens, I have ducks (lots of breeds), guineas, peafowl, pheasants and quail. Dogs, cats, rabbits, goats etc. Busy place here. I'm selling hatching eggs and a few chicks right now if anyone is interested.

3. Chicken0Boy

Quote:Cool! What eggs/chicks are you selling? I cannot buy, but I might later. [​IMG] I have 2 broody silkie hens right now...I will be putting eggs under them later. [​IMG]

4. BlakesFarm

BlakesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Upstate SC
    Hi there, I live right by Joycats. I currently do not have any poultry (thanks to a dog and a hunter [​IMG]). Before they got killed, I had 6 free range peral guinea fowl.

Some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This spring/summer I plan to get 5 guinea fowl, and I would like to get some silkies & other breeds of chicken (thanks byc [​IMG]). I have been wanting to get some Nigerian dwarf goats for a wile now...

5. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Hey, everyone! I moved last year from Greenville to Greenwood. I have 150 chickens: silkies, Marans, Ameraucanas, Seramas.... tons of breeds. I will be breeding this spring and selling Silkie, Wheaten Marans, Ameraucanas, and B/B/S Marans (hatching eggs and chicks). I also have three lavender Silkies but they're only 10 weeks old so I have awhile. But keep it in mind. They're gorgeous!

I'd love to get some guineas. After our rotten dogs killed most of my goats and a whole bunch of chickens, they are finally gone! Now I can have other things!

My blog is www.huckleberryfarmsc.com. You can see lots of my chickens, the farm and everything else. I'm a year into all of this farming and love it! Especially love my chickens. Five silkies turned into an obsession!

6. Chicken0Boy

BlakesFarm
    Hi there, I live right by Joycats. I currently do not have any poultry (thanks to a dog and a hunter ). Before they got killed, I had 6 free range peral guinea fowl.

This spring/summer I plan to get 5 guinea fowl, and I would like to get some silkies & other breeds of chicken (thanks byc ). I have been wanting to get some Nigerian dwarf goats for a wile now...

I am sorry for your lose, but I am glad your getting more! [​IMG]

Hey, everyone! I moved last year from Greenville to Greenwood. I have 150 chickens: silkies, Marans, Ameraucanas, Seramas.... tons of breeds. I will be breeding this spring and selling Silkie, Wheaten Marans, Ameraucanas, and B/B/S Marans (hatching eggs and chicks). I also have three lavender Silkies but they're only 10 weeks old so I have awhile. But keep it in mind. They're gorgeous!

I'd love to get some guineas. After our rotten dogs killed most of my goats and a whole bunch of chickens, they are finally gone! Now I can have other things!

My blog is www.huckleberryfarmsc.com. You can see lots of my chickens, the farm and everything else. I'm a year into all of this farming and love it! Especially love my chickens. Five silkies turned into an obsession!

150 Chickens! [​IMG] Dang! I'm Jealous. What kind of coops do you keep them all in?​

7. Joycats

Hey Blakesfarm - you've got me wondering who and where you are. [​IMG] And just in case you're interested, I have a few pearl and white guineas for sale right now. These are from my late summer hatch 2010 and they will be ready to lay in April/May. I also have black silkies. Just let me know when you're ready. I'll be selling guinea keets and hatching eggs in the spring too. So sorry to hear about your loss, hopefully you've taken care of that problem. I know we have trespassers on our property a lot now.

Huckleberry - we also have coyotes, big, big problem! Last summer they were picking off my chickens and guineas daily. I got 2 great pyrenees pups and (so far) that has put a stop to it. I had 5 dogs in my yard already but the coyotes were not afraid of them. The pyr pups are still confined to a kennel run as I can't fully trust them with the birds yet but they bark....and they have a fierce bark. They can also smell coyotes, fox etc. and I guess maybe they bark sooner than my other dogs who are older and usually have to see or hear something to bark at it. Anyway, I highly recommend you consider a livestock guardian dog with your sheep. There is nothing sadder than seeing a coyote pick off one of your beloved pets. I've witnessed it....made me mad as heck and I was determined to do something about it. Those traps didn't work (and we tried EVERYTHING). The traps seemed to make them change their path onto our property, they avoided the area with the traps. But it wasn't long before they were back. Hope you figure something out before you lose more babies.

8. Joycats

Oh, also forgot to answer Chickenoboy - I have all kinds of chicks, almost any of the breeds I mentioned I will have chicks and I can collect the eggs anytime you're ready. I also have lots of new chicks in the brooder that I hope to breed next year. I believe that I have 30+ different breeds right now. I mostly have the heritage and rare breeds but I also keep a layer flock for my customers who want eggs to just eat.

9. Chicken0Boy

Quote:I like heritage and rare breeds so much better! Could you possibly tell me your heritage/rare breeds? [​IMG] I am getting some Blue Hen of Delaware Soon! (These are tru blue came from the university)So maybe once they all start having eggs I can sell some hatching eggs to the upstate!

10. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Oh, look at those beautiful Guineas! Sorry for the loss. I would worry if I had any, too so I just have not gotten any. I am afraid the neighbors and their dogs would end my ownership of them.

Can't believe I did nt see this thread until now. Where I have I been?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by