Greenwood Indiana, lets make a change!

I live in the far Eastern reaches of Indiana, in a small farming town, and, due to "circumstances", we've had to build a chicken tractor and a temporary coop in our shed to raise our children's 4H chickens here at home. Fortunately, after the local Fair the vast majority of our fine feathered feasts will be gone and our freezer will be full, but the few that remain ( 1 bantam rooster, 2 Rhode Island reds for eggs, and a weirdo silkie that may or may not leave a little something in her nest box), will hopefully be a non-issue. We have very understanding neighbors who like fresh eggs, but we live in fear of "The Man". To that end, I've put out feelers to our local law enforcement ( remember, we're a farming community, even though we are also a town ) and they have no problem with turning a bit of a blind eye so long as there are no complaints. I also plan to run for Town Council next elections to work from the inside to get change started.

Best of luck to you, and all of us.

I live in the far Eastern reaches of Indiana, in a small farming town, and, due to "circumstances", we've had to build a chicken tractor and a temporary coop in our shed to raise our children's 4H chickens here at home. Fortunately, after the local Fair the vast majority of our fine feathered feasts will be gone and our freezer will be full, but the few that remain ( 1 bantam rooster, 2 Rhode Island reds for eggs, and a weirdo silkie that may or may not leave a little something in her nest box), will hopefully be a non-issue. We have very understanding neighbors who like fresh eggs, but we live in fear of "The Man". To that end, I've put out feelers to our local law enforcement ( remember, we're a farming community, even though we are also a town ) and they have no problem with turning a bit of a blind eye so long as there are no complaints. I also plan to run for Town Council next elections to work from the inside to get change started.

Best of luck to you, and all of us.
Thank you for your story. Isn't odd how some laws come to be. If someone wants to own a few pet birds who is it bothering. Well we got our chicken tractor built up in two day and moved over to my parents on the south side of Indy today. I think they are enjoying the fresh grass and bugs. We had trouble getting them to all stay in the upper coop at dusk. They have a fox problem so I'm hoping its secure enough. The ladder raises up by a cable to lock them in till morning. We have 32 likes on the Greenwood Chickens page. Several people are expressing interest in owning chickens in Greenwood so we have a start. Please like our page if you have time. The more the better! http://m.facebook.com/pages/Greenwood-Chickens/548814128490487?id=548814128490487&_rdr
su5e6e9y.jpg
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Hi…. I was wondering if you have any older laying hens available?

I just got a new coop made and I would love to have 2 older laying hens..
smile.png

There is a noise ordinance in Greenwood! You can call the police every time the dog barking is disturbing! I think it is rediculous not to be able to have what you want in your own yard.. That's why we pay taxes.. F**k government telling me what I can do and what I can't..

Would love to help in any way to get this city to allow backyard chickens!
Let me know if there is a group that meets to discuss ways we can get the ordinance changed.
We need to get this done...

Noticed there hasn't been any recent activity on this thread, but hoping someone will see this and offer guidance: due to family circumstances we may have to be moving to greenwood. We currently live on the west side of Indy and have 12 chickens, 11 hens and a roo. I just got them late last summer, and don't want to give them up, but I can't find anything on whether or not the ordinance has changed. I understand the too may have to go, but has greenwood opened up to fowl? Any guidance would be appreciated.

We live in Greenwood and have been interested in getting hens for egg laying for some time. We have friends in Indy with hens, no problem. Even Carmel you can have 6 hens on residential property. Unfortunately in Greenwood it's not easy. I spoke with the Greenwood City Planner, Bill Peoples. Nice guy. He said that Greenwood changed the zoning ordinances in the 60s to restrict all livestock in city limits for residential zoned properties. I understand groups have petitioned the Greenwood City Council in the past (2013-2014) to no avail. Bill Peoples said for whatever reason several of the City Council members strongly oppose chickens.

I know some people through work who have hens in Greenwood city limits. They said they asked their neighbors and they were all okay with it. They're just keeping them up under the city radar. We were concerned about our ability to do that, so I contacted the city about a Use Variance.

The Use Variance is an application to the Board of Zoning Appeals to allow us to have chickens in a residential zoned property. It's a costly and cumbersome ordeal. Costs $300 and requires (1) posting an article in Daily Journal, (2) street signage, and (3) contacting all neighbors within two parcels or 300 feet of our property, whichever is greater. We have to contact 32 residences. Our immediate neighbors are supportive. I have no idea about some of these distant neighbors. Bill Peoples (City Planner) was helpful. He said a Use Variance for chickens has never been attempted before, but that if there is not a significant number of people in opposition at the Hearing then the Board is likely to allow us to have chickens. Although we are not eager to swallow the cost, we are going to go ahead and pursue this. Our hearing is scheduled for Monday, May 22nd at 6:00 PM at the Greenwood City Center. IF YOU ARE ABLE TO COME AND ARE SUPPORTIVE OF CHICKENS IN GREENWOOD, PLEASE COME!!!

We are hoping that if we get the Variance and are *legally* allowed to have chickens in Greenwood city limits, then it will pave the way for the City Council to change the ordinance.

SweenDoc, we are getting ready to move back to Greenwood from Indianapolis. Once we have moved back and settled in, I plan on circulating a petition, with a proposal that, if approved, the City Council would be able to simply put it into the current code (Chapter 6, Article 2). I'm not on here much anymore, but if you would like to get in touch, shoot me an email: [email protected].

Well... today is another sad day for wishful Greenwood chicken owners. We went through the trouble and expense of applying for a variance through the City of Greenwood. We had a few distant neighbors show up in opposition. I should have begged all the direct neighbors (who were supportive) to show up in support. However, the zoning committee and city attorney were clearly against it. They made it clear that regardless of what those in opposition had said, the committee was not eager to allow a variance that defied the city's goal to keep livestock out of the city.

I'm afraid if you want chickens in Greenwood, you'll have to do it in opposition to the city ordinance and risk a fine. Or endure the long, slow process of changing the entire City Council.

It is likely easier to purchase property outside of Greenwood city limits.

Back
Top Bottom