Greeting from another MAINEiac

Tnic

Songster
10 Years
Feb 28, 2014
Hi folks,

Just checking in. I'm from the Bangor Maine area but currently living in Ukraine (I'm a Male Order Groom) while my bride and I await the wheels of the USCIS to award her immigration visa.

I'll be mostly lurking for a bit until I find that dream property that will become Camp Cossak or Camp Runamuck knowing how I operate, things will most likely get out of hand purdy quick. lol

I had some hens (12ish?) many moons ago (early 80s iirc) and I remember they were laying machines. 4 adults couldn't keep up with the production and we started giving eggs away to our neighbors so they wouldn't be wasted. My roomie came home one afternoon with all 12 of em in a feed sack. We quickly set up a coop in the dirt floor garage with some pallets laying around and threw some nest boxes together and turned em in. The poor things had busted beaks and were half starved! We dug worms and caught some sunfish and tossed in anything else we had on hand and that's when I learned that chicken are bio-disposalls. IIRC they started pumping out eggs in less than a week.

Unfortunately someone left the garage door open one evening and a dog got in over night and killed every one of em. I still have a hard spot in my heart for springer spaniels.

Anyway, when we find our slice of heaven we'll be setting up for Chickens and bunnies and a couple dairy goats and a bio-bush hog buck.

Raised rabbits as a youngster for 4H too so goats will be the next new critter adventure for me. My wife is a city slicker and I'm a forgetful clutz so this could be quite entertaining.
big_smile.png

Anyway, HOWDY and I look forward to lurking and learning form "the collective".

Hi there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

Sorry for the loss of all your babies. Dogs and chickens don't usually get along.

Good luck in your new chicken adventures!!

Thanks folks.

The dog incident was back in the early 80s. I've gotten over the loss, but still don't care for Springers (unless it has HD in front of the name).

@1muttsfan;
Gotta ask. Sparty or rines? I'm a native Buckeye, born n bred to bleed scarlet & gray (or is it grey? ah well). Either way, when we found Camp Cossack I'll still treat ya to a fresh home brew if you find yer way to Maine.

Back
Top Bottom