Greeting from Ohio!

NLKN9

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 15, 2013
Ohio
We are a family of 4 from Ohio who thoroughly enjoy our furred and feathered family members. We recently added 9 hens to our pet family of 2 Jack Russell Terriers and cat. My husband bought a small chicken coop from a family who upgraded and he built onto it to allow for more chickens. We consider our first 7 hens rescues. When we went to the "farm" we bought them from, we quickly realized that they were not kept in the best conditions. Our hearts really went out to them. We took home a variety...a buff orpington (Big Mama), a barred rock (Rocky), a buff rock (Honey), a white rock (Snowball), a buff leghorn (Sassy - her named suits her personality! Lol), a silver penciled hamburg (Grayson - named after my late aunt's beloved little rooster) and what I believe is a "mutt" as we can't quite figure out what she is, but she is cute and very lively (Mimi). We later purchased two black austrolorps that my young son named BlackBlack and SpringSpring. They are quite spoiled and we have loved giving them a better life and attention. They were all very stand-offish when we first brought them home, but they now recognize when we are coming to their coop to bring them their favorite lettuce or to open the door each evening so that they can free range for a couples of hours before they go in for the night. We have 4 who are laying right now and 4 who are still a little too young. We think Honey may be an older hen and think she may be past the laying age. Our austrolorps are hilarious when they lay. They are so vocal and almost sounds as though they are "singing" at the top of their lungs. We can always tell when one of them is about to give us an egg. We are new to raising chickens and are learning as we go. This site has been amazing for us and has quickly become our go-to site for questions and information. This has been a great learning and bonding experience for our family and it has been great to see how quickly our 5 and 7 year old have taken on some of the responsibility of caring for our feathered family members! We haven't regretted a second of it!

Hello from Ohio! :frow and Welcome to BYC! Sounds like you have a wonderful little flock going. It is amazing how much fun they are and how much entertainment they provide, can see why people call it "Chicken Television".

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
We call those noises the hens make when they lay the "egg song". So you're right about them singing :) I'm glad your ladies got such a nice second home. Enjoy the site!

Back
Top Bottom