Greetings! šŸ–– from NH

Brahma_Drama

In the Brooder
May 9, 2021
Hey yā€™all! I just recently became a flock tender to 4 Brahmas. Got them from a breeder a few days old, now onto week 5. Iā€™m so happy I decided to expand my family and become part of the wonderful world of chickens.
A few quick questions, at what age do you think it is possible for them to start free range?
I live in a pretty rural part of NH and have predator proofed, however, a hawk and her young have recently taken up residency in a tree near by. Any tips on how to deter them? I have a few owls... my dogs are frequently outside with me.. is it safe to allow full grown Brahmas to free range close to hawks headquarters?

Hey yā€™all! I just recently became a flock tender to 4 Brahmas. Got them from a breeder a few days old, now onto week 5. Iā€™m so happy I decided to expand my family and become part of the wonderful world of chickens.
A few quick questions, at what age do you think it is possible for them to start free range?
I live in a pretty rural part of NH and have predator proofed, however, a hawk and her young have recently taken up residency in a tree near by. Any tips on how to deter them? I have a few owls... my dogs are frequently outside with me.. is it safe to allow full grown Brahmas to free range close to hawks headquarters?
Welcome, I'm in seacoast NH.
Once you put chicks in the coop, from the brooder, your chicks should be confined to the coop for a solid 2 weeks, 24/7. This 2 weeks will ensure that they know to automatically go in the coop at dusk. This is the most critical step to ensure that they know where home is and that it is safety. Then you can start letting them out, supervised, to free range... But do it about an hour before dusk, so you can get them in. Then gradually let them out earlier. This ensures no struggle getting them in.
Here in NH, predators are on the ground and in the air. You will not be able to let your flock free range alone without risk. I have a dog who has learned to watch for hawks and birds of prey and he always and barks and chases them in the air. However, I still don't free range my hens unless I'm out there with them. You could put up some fencing and cover with netting, perhaps, although this will limit your free range area. Hawks don't care how big a hen is, they can attack and eat in place too.
If you feel you want to take the risk, I suggest planting lots of bushes and other ground cover that chickens can hide under. They often see hawks, owls and other threats long before me or my dog.
Of course, you will get to know your area and assess your comfort level when it comes to risk. But be aware the risk is always there.

Back
Top Bottom